constantly refining my presentation.

My question is, and this is directed at staff newspaper

photographers, and others who have done internships; How many

internships does one normally have to complete before being

considered for a staff position?

And, are there any tips anyone can give about how to approach the

employer after I've handed in my materials? Should I call after a

week? Should I leave them alone? The instructions for application

said not to call, but I think that's weird.

Any insight?

Evan

The photo editor at my paper gets around a hundred applications for internships, and when we have a opening, aprox 300 job applications. Photo editors are very over worked people, who usally start out doing what they love (photography) and end up spending most of their time going to meetings. If you have applied for several internships, and recieved them, and not been hired,then I would get someone whom you respect, to critique your portfolio. It may be that your photography skills would suit you for a different job. It may be your personality in not suited for this kind of Job.

There are many jobs in the Photography profession that are not at a newspaper. I work at the 7th largest paper in the county, and when we find a person who has the right attitude, and job skills, we hire them.Several of the staff photographers were hired from internships.I am not saying that you should not go after a photojournalism job. There are a lot of photographers trying to get fewer jobs, at a ever decreasing ammount of papers. If you are talented, and do have the drive to do what ever it takes to get one of these jobs, then I say go for it.

I assume that you have a journalism or photojournalism degree, or are working on one. The days of papers hiring someone with just photographic skills is just about over.I would call the Photo Editor once, a week or so after sending your resume and portfolio,to make sure they recieved it, and to see if they have any questions. I would at that point let it go,if you are something they are looking for they will get back with you.

Good Luck

Sorry to point this out.<br>

But you have really big pictures on your web site (BIG~!!).<br>

And you are squeezing them in the small frame.<br>

That's why they are not so fresh.<br>

You should optimize for web, it's all in the Photoshop.<br>

My example below is only 55KB (compared to what you have on line at 889KB, a slow download).<br>

When you shrink the pictures, make sure to sharpen them.<br>

Have you looked at wedding photographers web sites and thought "I can do that"? Then you should consider wedding photography.<br>

Some people find it very difficult (technically challenged people).<br>

But some find it extremely easy money.<div>009s6w-20135284.jpg.e70979c371db4309d11994229ca4cfd7.jpg</div>