Rollei 2.8F - where to buy in USA?

andrew n.bra hrefhttp

I've finally got a MF scanner and I've saved up @ $US 1000, so I'm ready to get back into

MF shooting with a 2.8F (Planar or Schneider - I don't care).

I've looked through the MF archives here, and even searched online for Rollei FAQs, but I

haven't been able to find a list of reputable US dealers who sell 2nd hand Rolleiflexes(!)

So who / where? URLs?

BTW, I'm not interested in buying off "scamBay", as I have heard and seen far too many

examples of people getting burned.

(Latest sleazeBay example only a couple of weeks old: friend manages to buy a

Nikkor 8mm fisheye lens. Lens arrives and it's non-Ai (no hint about this by the seller)

and secondly, the built-in filters were either cracked or full of fungus - again no word

about this despite specific questions prior to the close of the auction. eBay strikes again.)

Hi,

I have had excellent results on purchases/sales on E-Bay. Just make sure you scrutinise the feedback of the seller.

Ask detailed questions before bidding ! There are some decent/honest sellers out there (of which I'm one.......LOL.)

Know what you are buying & its value, before you press that button!

Cheers, Larry

(E-Bay ID. alimey4u2)

You might check Ritz Collectible Cameras (www.ritzcam.com). They frequently get Rolleis in and give most of them a CLA before resale. You can ask them who did the CLA, and they will tell you. In the past it has been DAG, but I don't know if that is still the same. I have dealt with them for about 8 years now (Nikons & Leicas) and have never been disappointed. They always seem to carry a few user cameras too, which for a collectible camera like Rollei TLR's that often have collector inflated prices, means you get a price break for a dent that does not affect the function but does reduce the collectability.

i agree with the votes in favor of keh; although their rollei prices are on the high side,

they're extremely reputable and straightforward to deal with. i bought a 2.8F from harry

fleenor and have been very happy with it. igor at igorcamera.com in cleveland often has

stock but i have very little experience dealing with him, other than to buy a lens shade.

ed

• 4 weeks later...

I must say I bought a 2.8 Planar D Rolleiflex from Ebay. The camera was described as used, but well cared for and with perfect lenses and a recent CLA. Price $400.00. The seller had almost all positive feedback. I held my breath for a week, second guessing my decision until it arrived. To my delight it was in very good condition, the shutter worked on all speeds, and the lenses were flawless. My advice is to look carefully at the feedback ratings of the seller, most will not risk bad feedback to make a single sale if their numbers are high. Also, buy a camera that you can return within 5 days or so.

Ian