No Name BP511 any good ?

danny_lee2

There is a suprise birthday party at 11:30 PM over on delancy st. I

called the birthday boy and he is already there. So what suprise is

it? I decided to stay home instead. * lights up a cigarette * So

anyway, I got a Rebel Digital, the Grip and I need am additional

battery, BandH got the original Canon at 50 bucks, and they have some

no names for 35 bucks, then ebay have listed tons of bp511's for

approximately 15 bucks each shipping included...

* Exhales smoke *

I have always used cell phones, and in the cell phone world, off

brand batteries are the worst things you can buy, I still recall the

non-motorola battery I had for the StarTac and the Timeports. it

lasts less than half the capacity of an OEM motorola battery.

** exhales more smoke ** and places the cigarette in the ash tray...

I wonder if anyone have any comments on those off brand batteries ?

No, but I'd like to read more of your movie script-like narrative. Sure is entertaining.

Seriously, I have two "off brand" batteries for my 20D. I've noticed no difference yet (key word here is "yet") between them and the Canon battery that came with it with respect to their duration of charge. Digicom makes the equivalent for ~20 bucks. No problems yet. Of course, you always take your chance with no names, so, as always

**picking my nose**

buyer beware when looking online. Camera stores always a better bet as far as I'm concerned.

Interesting **scratching myself**, I bought 20 AA batteries off of a guy in Herald Sq for a buck once. Package looked like it said **belch** Duracell when actually it said Delancy **thwack, thwack** Batteries lasted about five minutes.

Ok **chuckle** ,trying to be serious here...

<BR>There is alot of talk about these batteries on other camera forums.The general answer seems to be that they are allmost or as-good as the canon genuine brand in both energy capacity and life expectancy.My experience with the ultra cheapies-so far- has been perfect. It's not often that such genuine bargains come along

If you are not doing pro work (gurgling my water), or not doing trips to the jungle, then battery life is not *that* important. I never, ever, run my Canon battery down to zero.

I rarely shoot more than 150 shots before recharging, because I rarely shoot more than that in one day and I always recharge before going (swallowing) out the next day.

Same goes for the rechargable AA's I use in my flash. I always make sure I have a fresh set when I leave. And a spare set. Sometimes I run one set to zero. I always recharge both sets if they sit for more than a week.

A word of caution about no-name batteries, I've purchased a couple of different no-names for my Powershot S45, they've been fine most of the time but it was when I used them in Beijing when the temperature was hovering around zero C that I found performance issues. Both no-name batteries resulted in low battery warnings after being in the camera for about 20 min. The single Canon battery lasted most of the morning, the afternoon was spent with me shooting with a battery under each armpit so they could be warmed and swapped so I could take more shots.