EFKE FILM

joe_weiler

How good is 35mm Efke 25 film?

(Distributer says it is made with ADOX formulas and provides a

high silver conent emulsion)

How does the grain, sharpness and tonal range compare with

T-Max 100? Is it worth trying?

Would appreciate any info before I order some from J & C Photo.

Many thanks for you shared collective knowledge!

JFW

Although I have never shot 35mm Efke 25 I like it a lot in its 120

form. Some 50x50cm prints(that is approx 20" square) show a very nice

almost grainless image. Bit of an apples/orange comparing 120 to 35mm

but still..

I would sure suggest you give it a try, well worth it in my opinion.

Wilko

Two years ago I shot about 10 rolls of EFKE 25 between Reno, Virginia City, Yosemite Park, Mono Lake, and the mountains and valleys in that area. It was exposed at ISO=25 and developed in Rodinal 1+50. It is absolutely beautiful stuff, easy to print 11x14 or larger! The exposure latitude is great (far better, I think, than Agrapan 25, or Ilford Pan F). It is extremely fine grained, and has that "full bodied" look more like Plus-X, not like TMX. I shot with a Canon Elan and 28-105 zoom, and sharpness was, unfortunately, limited by the lens. I have a roll in my Leica CL right now, exposed at EI=12, to develop in PMK if I ever fiish the roll. This is a really great film, IMO at least as good as, and possibly better than, Agfapan 25.

Well, I see that there are some who disagree with TMax 100 and I can understand why. Though I have no experience with any of the Efke films, and believe me I'm not trying to badmouth these films at all, I have used quite a bit of TMax 100 (TMX) over the past few years and I like it very much. If there is a B&W film out there capable of more resolution and finer grain, it's a rare bird. Developed in XTOL, TMX is a very fine film. If Efke 25 can best it in terms of grain and resolution, the differences will be overshadowed by all the other variables in the process from exposure to print.

I can't comment specifically on the 35mm version, as I have only just tried my first 120 roll of it in a Franka folder. The results are gorgeous, beautiful tones and no grain. I dropped it off at the lab / photo shop here in Amsterdam<P>

Here's one <A HREF="http://pch.fotopic.net/p8302443.html"><B>example photo</B></A> - the scan doesn't do the negative justice. And <A HREF="http://pch.fotopic.net/p8328575.html"><B>another</B></A><P>

The only negatives ('scuse the pun) are that it is a bit curly, and is quite easy to scratch if you're not careful. I'll certainly be using more of it in the future, and I'll have to try the 50 and 100 versions too.

PC, <p>Nice shots! I left my negs to dry and then sleeved and pressed them between two massive books. This helps with the curling, but I still had to be very careful not to scratch them. This was especially true when they were wet. I don't remove any water from the final negative. I let them dry while they are clipped horizontally. I also recommend a hardener and a wetting agent in the process of developing. How do you handle yours?<div>009sSi-20144484.jpg.fd546c6645782626361f60c5cdb04b77.jpg</div>

Henry,

I drop mine off at the lab, and pick them up a couple of days later :-)

When I got the roll home (along with some Ilford FP4+), I cut the 6x6 negs into 3s, and put them in some sleeves, kept flat in a folder under some books. The Ilford, scanned the next day was flat, but the Efke wanted to curl. After a few days in the sleeves in the folder, they have gone flatter.

One day I may get round to developing the B+W myself, but for the moment, the lab does a pretty good job, so there's little incentive, not to mention little room at home (Amsterdam houses are small!)

Paul

<i>"I drop mine off at the lab, and pick them up a couple of days later :-) "</i><p>I wish I could, but it is getting harder and harder to get b&w developed here. Most of the places that still do it are far away and expensive. :-( I've been using the c41 b&w films when I know I won't have time to develop it myself. I can just drop these off anywhere! :-)

Thomas, Sorry to take a few days to get back about your question. Yes, the dilution for the chrome shot was 1:2:100, or a "normal" dilution for PMK.

I use Efke 25 in low light as well, because of its good reciprocity characteristics and full inherent contrast. It takes some getting used to, but is fun to work with.