Posing Table

denny_kyser

Has anyone made there own posing table? I saw a post somewhere that

talked about making a posing table out of a Tripod. The reason I ask

is I have an old Tripod I dont use and also wood working tools so

thinking about trying it. If anyone has made one, or knows where the

post was I would appreciate any info.

Are you are looking for a table for a model to rest their arms on for portraits?

If so, it is easily enough done. Go to a hardware store and buy a either a 1/4-20 x 3/4 or

3/8-16 x 3/4 t-nut. The size you get depends on your tripod screw. My strong suggestion

is to remove the head, if possible, and use the screw to hold the head in place. You

shouldn't need to tilt the table and it is much stronger without the head. This won't work

for tripods liked the Tiltall. If you don't know what this is, just ask, they will know. How it

is used should be pretty obvious.

Also buy a 2x2 feet 3/4 inch plywood. Drill a hole in the middle of the wood that will allow

the t-nut to protrude to the other side. You can then attach the tripod to the platform you

just made.

The table is essentially done, but in order to make it easier for the model to rest their

elbows on the table, you should cut out a flattened c-curve out of one side. This way the

ends stick out for the elbows, but the middle is recessed to allow the torso to fit

comfortably in front of the table.

You should then cover the wood with some sort of cloth/carpeting to make it more

comfortable. Most commercial posing tables use a black carpeting that is often found as

automobile interiors. This can also be found at most home improvement stores. You can

use contact cement or special carpeting adhesive to make the attachment permanent, but

in a pinch you can use nails or staples.

If considering a purchase, perhaps scan the listings at B&H. A year ago, they had combo sets, with a table and a posing stool together for about $200 total.

I agree it would be less costly to build your own table, but at that price, I think the table and chair combo is worth considering.

Good Luck!

Robt.