Opinions about Miller, Mpix or other labs

I am recently starting to shoot portraits (digitally) and I'm

looking for a place to print the images. I've checked out the

Miller and Mpix websites and I'm wondering if anyone has any

experience or opinions about these companies. Any other

recommendations would be appreciated too.

See my comments in the neighbor to neighbor section. I've been very happy with Mpix.com. They do a great job on digital and I like them because of their C41 developing and printing.

They offer traditional satin finish on Kodak Endura paper and a metallic finish on the E-surface. I like both, but I am not sure how suitable metallic would be for portrait work.

Find a local shop that has a digital lab and knows how to use it.

If you opt for one of the global corporate monsters and have problems with their service or quality, please don't come here and gripe. Also plan on doing $10,000 a year business with them if you wan't your issue fixed. The local labs digital labs I'm using kick the crap out of Millers and the rest in terms of quality, use the same if not better equipment, and I can walk in the door and discuss a problem.

ditto sean. i use WHCC for many prints and enlargements. their customer service is also extremely friendly. they've handled every question and problem very professionally. they're one of the few labs that can get neutral monochrome images on color paper from my digital images.

i've only used their 'thrifty' service since i do all the editing and file preparation at home. i simply upload to their ftp site and they print whatever file i send them without touching it.

• 4 months later...
Is shipping your work an option? If not, then I agree you should try a local lab. If it is, I personally have had a lot a success with Desktop Digital Lab out of Jacksonville, FL. They seem to have a small lab friendliness and pricing with a large lab's capabilities. Check them out at ddlab.net and see for yourself.

• 3 years later...

Miller's "Professional" Imaging Lab scanned my 2 rolls of 35mm film to a CD and they chopped off too much on the left side and nothing on the right, leaving a black edge on the right. It seems that their equipment was not aligned properly.

They also chopped about 1/16th of an inch on the top and bottom of the negative. Yuck. It seems like they are more interested in high-speed processing than accurate processing.

Perhaps most of their customers are using medium format negatives and don't care if they lose 1/16th of an inch on all sides.

Their proofs were centered pretty well, but I would have preferred a human to do the alignment on each proof, because sometimes fingers were chopped off at the bottom when there was extra space at the top. I guess that's expecting too much from a giant lab.

I've been using Mpix.com for about 4 years for prints from files. They've always done a great job for me. In several hundred orders and thousands of prints (4x6 to 20x30) I've only had one problem which they promptly fixed, and had delivered to my door the next morning.

• 2 weeks later...