Padding a Non-Camera Bag for Photo Use

ajweiss

There have been quite a few threads asking about less-conspicuous camera bags, but I

wasn't able to find one that addressed my question.

I'd like to know how any of you have modified a regular shoulder bag to hold your camera

along with some other non-photo things. I want a solution that will allow for quick access

like a good camera bag, but won't look like one. I currently have a nice shoulder bag, but

it only has a small amount of padding in the bottom, and it would be nice to just add

some more side padding to one section for my camera.

I don't want to replace my camera bag. I would still use it for storage and times where I

need to carry more stuff. In the shoulder bag, I only want to carry a 20D with lens

attached, along with one other lens (and possibly a flash).

Does anyone know of a good place to buy padded inserts (or a good way to make them)?

I also would be open to replacing my bag, if someone has a ready-made solution that they

could recommend.

One of the many bags I use is a non-descript messenger bag.

I line the bottom with a sheet of bubble wrap, and on top of that, a keyboard wristpad (cut to size). Then I use Domke inserts for my camera lenses and accessories.

Yes, it does add some weight, but it works.

"...use Domke inserts..."

that's a great idea...btw, I too read the same thread about using a messenger bag from American Eagle..so, I stopped at the mall yesterday and asked..and also went in Aeropostale. They both knew what I was talking about, but neither had them in the store at present. Both said they expect more in by Christmas. This was Moorestown Mall, New Jersey if anyone close by is interested

I was impressed by the keyboard wristrest idea myself. I might do that myself! It made me

think about a soft insulated lunch box/bag with the top folded in to pad the camera...

Do the Domke inserts need velcro strips to attach to the bag, or will they just sit in there

by themselves?

As for the American Eagle bag, I picked one up recently on clearance. That's where the

question came from. I really like the bag, but carrying my camera in a Zing cover inside

requires too many steps to get it out for a shot.

I'm never sure why people bother with padded bags. I just carry mine in whatever

bag I'm using (sometimes wrap it in a plastic bag if I'm hiking in the rain) and have

never had any bother. I guess I might be a bit miffed when I do eventually crack it

open on a rock but it hasn't happened yet.

I'm actually more interested in dividers than protection. Well, I guess I just want protection

from my other stuff...

I'm not too worried about dropping it, but I am worried about the other stuff that is in the

bag scratching the screen up or knocking the lenscap off and scratching the front element.

If I had a way to keep it separate and accessible, I would be happy.

Adam - the Domke inserts do have velcro on the outside, but you'd obviously have to stitch velcro to your bag if it doesn't alreday have it.

I don't even bother -- I can fit 3 (end to end) or 4 (side to side) 2-compartment inserts in my bag, and they don't budge.

first go to an Army-Navy surplus store and get a closed cell foam sleeping pad, and some duct tape,

then to a fabric store and get some velcro, not the self adhesive kind, it won't stick to foam, trust me,

then cut the foam to fit, duct tape the frame and bottom together, and sew velcro to the "dividers" you cut

whole thng will run you about $10, and you can do it pretty quickly. if you don't want to mess with the velcro, just sticking the dividers where you want them works pretty well too, that's what I did after the velcro peeled off the foam, and they tend to stay where they're put

KL: Good to know about the Domke inserts fitting without velcro. What size bag do you

have? Is there a particular insert you are using?

Jack: Your idea sounds good too. I think I'll stop by a camping store on the way home. If I

can make one myself, I can just make it to fit the camera and be done with it. I have a case

for my flash, and a padded tube for a lens, so I could get by with basically an open-top

foam box for the body and lens attached. I might make it with two compartments, but I

doubt I'll need the velcro. If I buy a pad to cut up, I might as well just make three or four

configurations, as I'll have more than enough material.

I usually wrap my camera into a towel or pullover, because I was to lazy to do it the way Jack Floyd described. If you happen to know some computerhardware instalation guy ask him for some of the foam packages his stuff comes in and tape your own ugly constructions with some pices of cardboard or consider using a sewing machine

years ago i bought a very non descript canvas book back at the local university bookstore.

i then went to the local camera shop and found a bag that was the same approximate size.

the store ordered the same insert (one piece, with dividers)from the distributor and i had a book back w/ padded insert camera bag.

i still use that same insert in another book bag today as the old canvas one started to age not very gracefully.

joe

Adam - don't know exactly what size the bag is, but 3 2-compartment Domke inserts end to end or 4 of them side to side does NOT leave any wiggle room in my bag.

To the poster who uses just any ol' bag... I'd like to see you do that when you're lugging around an SLR, 3 lenses, a flash unit, and accessories.... especially when the SLR and the lenses cost over $1000 EACH.

I have made inserts for non camera bags using cardboard. It is possible to make an insert using corrugated cardboard from an old box - this is strong but reasonably soft. I made an inner box with compartments to fit into the bag, using spray adhesive to stick it together. It could be lined with cloth if you thought it wasn't soft enough.

I use a normal messenger style bag with a Tenba insert with four compartments. It can swallow my N80 with 50/1.8 attached, a 24/2.8, 105/2.8, 180/2.8, and a flashlight (SB800). Very nice piece of equipment, the narrow version is just wide enough to hold the N80 or a F3, so the wider ones would be well suited to accommodate a 20D. They are available at the usual NYC online stores.

I've been looking at the same problem. I routinely carry my canvas bag and would like to find suitable inserts to throw in. My current solution features duct tape and does not look really presentable/reliable.

Caveat: avoid Billingham inserts for this purpose. They do not have bottom at all! Apparently Domke inserts have a bottom part, but that is unpadded.

If someone knows where one can find Domke inserts and have them shipped to Finland at a reasonable cost, please let me know :)

Foam beer huggies offer good protection for smaller primes... but they don't work at all for big zooms. One nice thing about them is that when used on the camera they add a nice amount of size. Just enough to allow the camera to sit up straight while in the bag, and not sag so that the lens points downward. I used to use combination of foam pads, huggies, and bubble wrap to stow camera gear safely in a backpack for hiking trips. Worked out pretty good.

The key is to pad well and pack tight.