What's your favorite film?

Velvia, Velvia 100F, E100G, NPC/NPH, etc., etc., etc. There's no way our favorites will be of much use to you without knowing what you're looking for. There is a LOT of information out there to search through, so start by looking at pictures and reading about films and decide what you want to do. Then try a bunch of films. What I like may not be what you like. Good luck.

B/W: Ilford Pan F plus 50 (probably my most favorite) and Agfa APX 400.

<br>

Slide: Fujifilm Provia 100F, Kodak Ektachrome 64T, Kodak Ektachrome Color Infrared (EIR), Agfa Scala 200.

<p>

I don't shoot color print film, but I guess I would be using Fujifilm NPS 160.<br>

I tried and shot a lot more films. For a few examples check my pictures.

Your individual taste will lead you as you experiment with different films. I have read over the past few years that people shouldn't bother with 100 or 200 speed print films because the 400 speeds are so good. But my experience has been very satisfying with the softer working and creamy smooth 100 speed print films. My work is mainly nature, landscapes, and non-moving subjects. If you're working with moving subjects and a slower speed zoom lens the 400 speed films might work best for you. As to whether Kodak, Fuji, or another brand, that's a matter of individual taste as well. I have found that matching the brand of film and paper used by the photo finisher can maximize the results.

Recently, I bought a 12 exposure $1.79 roll of Walgreen's film just to test a forty year old camera I'd bought on Ebay for $10.00. I had Walgreen's process the film. It just so happened that I captured a nice photo of a very red barn with blossoms in the foreground. Long story short, the enlarged photo made it to the exhibit floor of our Iowa State Fair. Walgreens' film is Actually Agfa Vision, a lesser brand. The end results in your degree of satisfaction with the image will determine which film is best for you. It isn't always the one that gets the most rave reviews by others.

(If you're interested in viewing the photo I mentioned it's the Barn & Blossoms shot in my Spring folder here at Photo.net.)

Efke 25, Tri-X, Velvia 50, Gold 100, and Portra/ Ultra Color 400 (400UC). That about tops my list. I use the slowest film I can afford to use in the available light. I'll still use slow speed films, but use a tripod. I only use 400 speed for certain subjects, or in case of Tri-X -for the look it gives. 400UC I've used for portraits in flat lighting with good results. I don't mind Reala either, but I don't often use it other then maybe 120. I have an old stash of APX 25, Verichrome Pan 125, and Panatomic X for B&W, and some Ektar 25 in color- but they are all no longer made, so I left them off this list.

Go to the BH Photo website and buy a variety of films at a great price.

I suggest a few rolls of:

Agfa Ultra Color 100

Fuji Reala

Kodak Ultra Color 100

Kodak Ultra Color 400

Fuji NPZ800

Fuji NPH 400

Konica Super 1600

Kodak Tech Pan (before it goes bye bye)

and also, you must try the Legend of Legends, while it is still available, Kodachrome. Try a roll of 64 and 200, they look different. Some love it, some hate it, but at least you be able to say you tried it...and you can sing along next time you hear Paul Simon's famous song...Kodachrome, gives you the nice bright colors, gives yopu the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day...

a few weeks ago I would also have also added Konica Impresa 50, but the slow films are all being discontinued...

For around $40 you should be able to get a good trial selection of films.

Have Fun!!!

Portra NC - real, nice color, medium contrast. Not only for weddings :-)

Portra UC - vivid color, sharp. Reliable! A godsend in MF!!

AGFA Optima - nice color, esp. nature in winter or overcast days.

Royal Supra - very cheap and reliable.

Reala (especially 120 version) - nice sharp film. Mixed bag of results with it - sometimes very nice, sometimes unpleasant.

NPH - nice, but sometimes. Like Portra NC better.

E100GX - warm and wide latitude. No grain at all, but slightly unsharp.

Agfa RSXII - like the natural colors.

Astia 100F. Fantastic latitude. A bit cool/purple palette to my taste.

Well just for fun:

Kodachrome 25 (discontinued - lots left)

Ektar 25 (discontinued - lots left)

Kodak B&W 25 ASA (forget the name - discontinued along time ago - a few left)

Velvia 50

Agfa Ultra 50 (also gone - couple left)

E100VS

Royal Gold 100 (also gone - maybe use Reala 100 instead)

• 3 weeks later...