Metz 70

robert_meyers

He all,

I was wondering what people thought about comparing the Quantum T4D

and Metz Mecablitz 70 MZ-5 TTL. I am thinking activity/event

shooting and converting with an umbrella for on site portraiture.

It has TTL modules available for all my cameras (Contax G1/G2, EOS

3, Olympus E-1). The Q-Flash does not. They are also incredibly

powerful.

Opinions? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks!

I didn't take a close look at the Metz 70 because I love my 60. As far as I remember the GN 70(meter!) is with reflector in telephoto position and the 60 is made for 35mm coverage, which means it is stronger.

I suppose the Quantum flash is prefered by people having roots in the pre-TTL age, prefering some really heavy duty gear. My Metz seems to be intended for tender professional use, at least the hinge holding the swivel head was broken 2 times when the unit fel down. - This is no accuse; I'd call the Metz 60 good gear.

Hm, TTL... On camera it's worth having it. Unluckily only few of my bodys offer this feature, especially the DSLR doesn't really, so I learn to live without it and carry a flash meter. As far as I know there is no real TTL shoe available for your digital Olympus.

Maybe you should ask this question again, with the Quantum mentioned in the title if you want any feedback from people who have one. I don't have either--I have the Metz 60CT-4, 45CL-4 and other shoemount flashes, and I have a Sunpak 120J. So I am posting only to make some comments about these types of flashes.

The Metz handlemount flashes are great as far as power and versatility. I like the fact that I can choose between TTL, thyristor and manual, and in manual, my 60 goes down to 1/256th power. Contrary to popular belief these larger rectangular flash heads put out very even light. Advocates of the parabolic style flash heads will tell you that these produce "softer, cleaner" light. I tested these types and could see no difference in hardness/harshness of light, and the Metz handlemount was actually more even in the corners in wide angle shots. The disadvantage of these are that they are clumsier to mount and flip and not as compact. In my experience, the Metz units are pretty accurate and reliable, although like most manufacturers, they are a little optimistic about the guide number.

The advantage of the parabolic style flash head is that you can use it bare bulb (also inside softboxes), and there are a lot of modifiers available.