New Canon digital SLR - the 20D is official

niklas_nikitin

I have a 10D and will not be getting a 20D. Actually, I find the 10D quite disappointing. My EOS1n with 100 speed slide film produces vastly superior images and my lady's Canon S-45 does too.

I am seriously considering selling the 10D and renting digital when I want it and returning to shooting primarily flim.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The taller pop up flash is really not as big a deal as you think.

The Digital Rebel I've been shooting with has it, and it doesn't seem to do any better at red eye reduction. I can count the number of times I've used it the past few months on one hand. If I need flash I mount a 420EX or 550EX.

<< Bobby Tan: I take it that 6.3MP doesn't cut it (quality/sharpness-wise) on

13"x19"? I just bought a Canon I9900 printer, waiting on the Canon 20d

before buying a digital camera >>

Gary, that's not what I am saying. 6 megapixels is sufficient, but 8 megapixels

will give you a higher resolution and therefore give you a better/cleaner print,

in theory anyway. I think the 10D/20D sensor is big enough, so you shouldn't

have any problems with pixel pitch unlike the 2/3 sensor size of a prosumer

digicam. However, if you don't print above 8.5 x 11" the additional megapixels

make not contribute towards the quality of your images or prints.

For the price of a 10D the 20D is certainly very good value, as you are now

getting much more of a dSLR. I would not hesitate to get either the 10D for

say $1,000 or the 20D for say $1,400.

<i>I have a 10D and will not be getting a 20D. Actually, I find the 10D quite disappointing. My EOS1n with 100 speed slide film produces vastly superior images and my lady's Canon S-45 does too. </i>

<p>

I'm sure you realize that there are a lot of people who would disagree with you. As far as I'm concerned, my 10D matches, and depending on the ISO, blows away slide film. And there's just no comparison when you factor in the flexibility of shooting digital. There's definitely a learning curve associated with shooting digital, though. You can't quite just pick it up and start getting stunning results.

<p>

But everyone is different. For some, shooting ISO 100 slide film is enough to fit their needs. But when you've learned to bring out the best in digital, it's just tough to go back to film. Although for a recent assignment, the publisher demanded that everything be shot on slide film, so I used Velvia 100F, and the results were great. But shooting above ISO 100, and digital quickly shows its advantages.

<p>

Now I'm looking forward to the extra performance that the 20D will bring! Bring it on.

So technically it's official that it will be official :D

-=-

I wonder if this means I can get an affordable 10D out of this.

I didn't want 10D because I live near lake shasta, where my EF 20/2.8 sometimes doesn't seem wide enough.

A 10-22 EF-S would fix that for me, even though I generally don't like zooms. A 10D and a 10-22 EF-S and a hacksaw may be a workable solution - I'll be very interested to see a review on that lens. Especially on the wide end (10-15)

<i>"10D owners (like myself) who bought more recently will likely skip this generation (or keep waiting for the holy grail of dSLR's: The 3D)"</i>

I agree, Jim. Some people have money to burn, but I'm not one of them. The speculated specs on this 20D looks real nice, but isn't enough to make me sell my 10D to upgrade.

However, I am really interested in that new EF-S lens. Sure, it's slow, but I could work around that. If it's a decent lens at a good price, I may need to recruit the services of an experience Photo.net hacksaw user. (Looking at Michael Peters)

• 2 weeks later...

Goto Amazon.com and search for Canon 20D. Look in the new and used link. There's a vendor there selling 20 new 20D's for $900 each. Wonder how that is? But there again, royalcamera.com was selling 10D's for $789 while everyone else was selling for $1400. In case anyone is interested.

Scott