OT: How you yankee fans doin?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<i>"The most famous sports club in the world is Real Madrid, then there is Boca Juniors, Juventus, Flamengo, St Etienne, Peñarol, Benfica, and on and on. Names you've probably never heard of but they are known and followed all over the world."</i><p>You're right, I haven't heard of most of those. I guess they're soccer teams? Here in the US we think soccer's a great sport too, and encourage all our daughters to play.

Beau, you're being a very ugly - and very funny - American. ;-)

Soccer is a wonderful sport. It allows runty types to get some exercise while accomplishing f*ck all, and it gives Britain's hooligans a sense of camaraderie.

As this day goes on, I must say that, on top of the joy of advancing to the World Series, I'm taking great pleasure in the misery of Yankee fans. Schadenfreude, Bronx style!

<i>Here in the US we think soccer's a great sport too, and encourage all our daughters to play.</i><br><br>

My daughter played too, and I coached a girl's town team for many years. American girls and women are extremely good at the game, far better than U.S. men, who have very poor technique. I much prefer to watch women's football here than men's, women seem to instinctively understand that the game is about technique and skill rather than brute force.<br><br>

I assume you're implying that football is a game for girls. The fact is that it's a game for everyone, man or woman, big or small, it doesn't really matter - it's the peoples game. Even "runty types" can play. One of the greatest, many say <i>the</i> greatest player ever to play the game - Diego Maradona - was quite small in stature. This is in stark contrast to some American sports that require particular (i.e. very large) body types for success.

<i>"One of the greatest, many say the greatest player ever to play the game - Diego Maradona"</i><p>we Americans admire him too, mainly for his prodigious coke-snuffling capabilities (despite his small size).<p>And don't try to tell me that he was better than a certain American soccer player who played for the NY Cosmos, I think his name was pronounced "Peel"

<<women seem to instinctively understand that the game is about technique and skill rather than brute force>>

That's why we have so many more female scientists and technicians and inventors, right? That's why mothers physically abuse their children at three times the rate of fathers. Oh well, I suppose we have to hear from the feminist flunkies occasionally. Truth is, American women are good at soccer because they are highly practiced at kicking below the belt.

Vic: Height, unfortunately, does not equal talent! :-(

Ironically, I became a Red Sox fan because I grew up a Cardinals fan. I was rooting AGAINST the hated Mets in the '86 series (they stole Keith Hernandez from us!) and watched the Bill Buckner debacle live. When I moved to New England later, it was easy to pick up rooting for the Sox. I never understood how anyone who wasn't a native New Yorker could root for the Yankees, anyway. Seems kinda lame, like rooting for gravity.

No question who I'm rooting for this year, though. GO SOX!

... from an article by Mike DiGiovanna in today's LA Times:<p>

<i>...But the Red Sox would not be playing host to Game 1 of the World Series in Fenway Park against the St. Louis Cardinals on Saturday night if not for Roberts, whose stolen base in Game 4 was the pivotal play of the AL championship series. </i><p>

Now look above at my comment earlier and tell me, do I know baseball, or do I know baseball??? I knew too LA shouldn't have got rid of Dave Roberts.....Why I'm not the Dodgers GM is quite a puzzle... ;)

You're exactly right. I read that Roberts was signed by the Sox specifically to be a "Rivera Rattler"... the idea was that allowing just one single in the ninth guaranteed Roberts would be plugged in, steal 2nd, and be in scoring position. Roberts has an insanely high success rate stealing bags, and just knowing he's there to pinch-run distracts a reliever.

Yes, and the only player with a slightly higher success rate stealing is Carlos Beltran, and guess who wants to sign him? NY can sign all the superstars they want though, it's obvious by now it doesn't guarantee a championship... I'm waiting for Steinbrenner to self-destruct and fire half the team and the GM, that could be another option. I'm laughing that we dumped Kevin Brown on them...

Kent:

The Giants were a NY team before they moved to SF. They played at the Polo Grounds up on 155th Street before they left for the coast. The Dodgers, now that's still a sore spot for us Brooklynites. I was 6 years old when the Dodgers moved to LA. I was 10 years old before I realized that Walter O'Malleys middle name was not "that son a bitch".