Who Manufactures Canon EOS lenses?

14mm 2.8l

I just noticed at the Nikon forum it was brought up that Canon makes

none of their own lenses thesedays. I don't think this is true for the

FD glass from the 1970's thru 1994 because I have several images of

Canon's lens glass factory published in an early lensworks book from

1974 and I have more lens production pics in a 1969 FL lens book too.

I am quite surprised to read that Canon makes no EOS lenses in 2004.

Is this true? If so, who makes Canon EOS glass and who then builds the

EOS lenses? What year did Canon get out of the business of making EOS

glass?

Thanks! Lindy

<p>You shouldn't believe everything you read on the net ...</p>

<p>AFAIK - and you shouldn't necessarily believe me, either - Canon makes all of their own lenses. Many lens manufacturers buy at least some of their glass from glass manufacturers; I don't know if Canon does, though I believe they continue to make fluorite in-house at the very least.</p>

Actually, there was a time when Tokina was contracted to make lens components for Canon. I don't know the details of what years or the extent of what they made, but I have read this a number of times over the years. Generally, these types of agreements are not so much about a sub-contractor being a better manufacturer, but about them being able to handle overflow production levels the contracting company is unable to. For instance, consumer lens demand may be more than Canon wants to tool up for so they hire another lens manufacturer to build their lenses to their specs in order to meet that demand. This may provide a cheaper way to allow Canon to focus their in-house manufacturing on higher-priced L series lenses without having to divulge trade or manufacturing secrets to a sub-contractor. This practice is actually very widespread in all types of manufacturing.

Rick A. Diaz

www.mcjournalist.com

This is a difficult question to answer, at least from the info found on the web. Some sites say Canon (along with many other camera makers) buys its raw glass and shapes/grinds it themselves, and also that Canon actually manufactures its own aspherical and flourite elements.<p>I've sent an email to Canon USA's Chuck Westfall, directing him to this thread. Perhaps he will respond and clear this up.

wow, didn't know that participants on this forum were such cry-babies...

Lindy had a fair and relevant question, to me more enligthning than the usual should I buy a 50/1.8 or 50/1.4 lens to my Canon. Normally I try not to comment unless I add at least some type of value (oh well, not always) but I guess it is viewed as OK around here just because Lindy referred to the Nikon forum. Am I missing something - is there something wrong with using the Nikon forum as an information source?!?

"...Canon USA's Chuck Westfall, directing him to this thread. Perhaps he will respond and clear this up..."

Most responses from Chuck (certainly the ones that I have come across) are usually referenced from the Rob Galbraith site. I don't think he participates much (if at all) in this particular forum (photo.net). You may have better luck posting this question on Robgalbraith.com and then when he responds to that, post a link back in this forum.

- Harman

I've always assumed Canon makes EOS lenses. However the poster seemed credible to me so I thought ask here at EOS forum. Hopefully Chuck Westfall can confirm that Canon makes the glass and then manufactures the lenses. I'd guess Canon does all this but outsourcing is popular these days.

Thanks, Lindy

Canon design and make all of their own lenses. They grind the glass and assemble the lenses in Canon factories. They also make all their own camera bodies in Canon factories, and the digital SLRs use Canon made CMOS sensors.

I know Canon grow their own fluorite crystals to make fluorite elements from and that they do glass research and development to formulate UD glasses.

I'm not sure if they actually dig up sand and melt it to make glass thought. However I believe that Ohara, a world leader in glass technology, is owned by Canon, so I guess you could say that Canon do make their own glass too.

Speaking of Nikon/Canon manufacturing differences, I believe that Canon owns its own chip fabrication plant which allows them to design and manufacture their own CMOS chips used in their DSLRs (as well as their digic chips and circuit boards) I believe that's not the case for Nikon, which relies on Sony for the most part for their imaging sensors. Interestingly, Canon also uses Sony CCD chips in its "prosumer" digital cameras. I guess we didn't learn much from the Nikon forum today. Best wishes . . .

Lindy,

As to who makes Canon glass:

I spend a career as a manuf. rep during which time I rep'ed for Fujinon, Leica, and Nikon sports optic divisions. I was forturnate to receive some very good technicial training in optics from all of these companies. A tech rep from Germany, with Leica, that was over here (USA) training me told me that they, Leica, and as far as he knew all other lens manuf. got their raw glass from the same place. He said there was a "Green" book and starting at the front of the book was the cheapest glass and it got more expensive as you progressed through the book. He said Leica bought only glass from the last page in the book - the very best. Also, the better the glass for optics the heavier it was. Of course these were just glass disc and the individual manuf. still had to grind and coat the optics. I also doubt he was referring to Fluorite glass as I know, as Bob said, that Canon grows their own.

I also worked for a scope manuf. that ground their own glass lenses and once when touring the factory they said they ground lenses for *most* of the nationally know scope companies.

If the truth be know, probably most all manuf., of any kind of products, actually makes all of their products. I think the important thing is the spec. they set for the manufacturing and the QC. And in the case of optic the coating they apply.

In most cases you still get what you pay for. When a company like Canon, or Nikon, or Leica puts their name on a product that product represents the companies reputation and they want it to be right.

Cliff