• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting how the only response I got to a couple of nice shots of a

Japanese pilgrim and an elderly woman eating ice cream with her grandson

(shot with an M6) was a tirade agains lame "snapshots" and feelble w/nw

posts. On the other hand, I post a slightly blurry snap (done with a D70) of

some young Asian school girls and watch the complements come in!

I'm sorry if this spoils the mood but here in Japan I find myself constantly

bombarded by Western sexual stereotypes about Asian Women -- and

Japanese in particular. One of my students was only yesterday proposed to

by a total stranger (from the US) while trying to practice English in an online

Chat room. One of our returning exchange students learned the term "Yellow

Cab" while studying in the US. It apparently implies that Japanese girls will

give "anyone a ride." One particularly hot seller on eBay is Japanese school

girl uniforms.

Of course this is nothing new. All one has to do is read a few of the salubrious

"occupation novels" written by American just after the war to find the same

stereotypes.

I agree with Alex, that there is a new vitality to Japanese youth culture and

young women seem to be the primary movers -- and for this reason deserve

to be photographed and the quickly changing culture documented. On the

other hand, those who take these photos should be aware that viewers from

the West (and other parts of the world) may simply see sexual objects.<div>00A5pv-20425484.jpg.9b1bd18108b3f10189deccb0d3e7c157.jpg</div>

Oh,oh! The thundering profundities are rolling in. Yep. Speak for yourselves, Edmo and Eric, you viejo verdes you. (Smile, giggle, giggle.)

Donald, I sort of understand what you are talking about. I think the scene is a bit faster up there closer to Tokyo than down here in Kobe.

The biggest problem in Japan isn't Western stereotypes but the Japanese themselves. Down here in Kansai we now have separate cars for women because of "chikan"--gropers. The other day a colleague told me that her daughter was followed by a middle-aged Japanese man in a business suit carrying a mirror which he used to look up women's dresses. Caught in the act he told the daughter, "This isn't what you think" (Chigai-masu) and ran away. Another problem is enjo kosai, "assisted dating" whereby older men pick up teenaged girls for you know what and pay them hard cash. I see a land where daddies are trying to protect their daughters from other daddies while at the same time trying to get at the other daddies daughters. These same daddies go on sex tours to South East Asia. A lot of Japanese still think AIDS is a foreigners' diseast. There are predictions of an AIDS pandemic blowing up here soon.

That said, there is still considerable room to have a prolonged childhood in Japan. This is what I think I captured here. My subjects seemed to be cheerfully innocent.

Donald, one thing that everyone missed is that your photo is of girls in high school uniforms. The very short skirts seem to be a new trend and one wonders if they are all of a regulation length. Not a few years ago school rules were hideously draconian and puritanical--a reaction against the political activism in the 60s and 70s. Much of that seems to have fallen away. If your subjects skirts are of regulation length one must wonder if their school isn't dominated by dirty old male teachers. What goes on in schools is another story.

Rather importantly, they are not wearing the fashionable fat white socks you often see on school girls. Regulation minishirts? Hmmm.

As I look at my primary subject sitting on the ledge of an open window looking out on the railroad tracks, oblivious of any danger, I see a symbol of an entire generation that has been overprotected and is clueless. Recently a young Japanese guy decided to backpack it to Iraq against all advice to not do it, got kidnapped and got his head cut off. Somehow he's typical.

The youth culture of today reminds me of the flappers and jocks of the 1920s. Directless and hedonistic. Meanwhile, I see Koizumi doing his best to turn Japan into a warfare state.

<i>Donald, one thing that everyone missed is that your photo is of girls in high school uniforms.</i><P>

Okay, let's have a show of hands. Did anyone think that the half-dozen or so teenage girls dressed identically in outfits that match one of the best-known cliches worldwide were wearing something other than school uniforms?

<The biggest problem in Japan isn't Western stereotypes but the Japanese themselves.>

Hmmm... Couldn't this could be said in a more indirect, traditionally respectful Japanese manner?

Frankly, I'm a bit perplexed about why older males exhibit photos of much younger, miniskirted Japanese females and then comment about gropers.

"Interesting how the only response I got to a couple of nice shots of a Japanese pilgrim and an elderly woman eating ice cream with her grandson..."

I liked both of those shots, Donald. Sorry I didn't say so at the time. Would liked to have seen them larger than the 511 pix limit.

Rico, The V gesture is a speed test for street photographers. Even a D70 on

autofocus was unable to beat them to the punch!

Seriously, it is just a ubiquitous gesture that might be accompanied by the

word "Peace" (pronounced "pee-suu") that women in particular display in

photos. They do it as automatically as you or I (or anyone who grew up in a

camera-saturated culture) smiles when a camera is pointed our way. Or you

could think of it as the female version of those ridiculous "gang" poses so

popular among male teens into hip-hop.

Personally, I think these peace signs pretty much automatically wreck a photo.

But it is really REALLY hard to get a photo of a high school aged girl here in

Japan without this gesture. In fact, for my photo above of the two girls, I

actually had to shoot a bunch of the corny "peace shots" before I could

convince them to just go back to what they were going when I first noticed

them and what I originally wanted to photograph them doing -- talking on a

cell phone and working on make-up.

One thing I will say in support of ALL the photos on this thread is that at least

the photographers had the courage to approach the subjects closely enough

to shoot with a normal or wide-angle lens (my second shot is with a 19mm

equivalent lens on a Coolpix). This means close enough to actually become

involved in real human interaction. There's nothing sadder than a guy with a

long telephoto lens sneaking butt shots in public.