which Leica SLR?

Go for an SL! As a back-up, you could take your pick of many EOS bodies to use with an adapter, you would get matrix metering, and almost all of the Canon EOS high tech functions.

But definitely the SL, it is simply the finest 35mm SLR ever made. It is worth owning, even if it is not your main breadwinner. Make sure to have it overhauled, and then you will have a sweet camera. Don't mess with the R series, they are a pain in the ass, whacky electronics, cheap construction, and clunky shutter. The SL has the smoothest SLR shutter on any SLR I have seen, and the controls are smooth as butter.

Leicaflex SL. Better viewfinder, easier to maintain/repair and the

sensory feedback you ought to get with a Leica.

<P>

<I>"What would drive someone towards a leica SLR over a

canon or nikon?"</I><P>

take your pick:<BR>

Buttery smooth controls<BR>

sensory feedback<BR>

the SL's viewfinder<BR>

well supported by the manufacturer for decades<BR>

19mm Elmarit-R<BR>

50mm Summilux-R (current model)<BR>

60mm Macro-Elmarit-R<BR>

90mm Elmarit-R<BR>

90mm Summicron-R<BR>

90mm APO Summicron-R ASPH<BR>

100mm APO-Macro-Elmarit-R<BR>

280mm f/4 APO-Telyt-R<BR>

80-200mm f/4 Vario-Elmar-R<BR>

70-180mm APO Vario-Elmarit-R<BR>

and I'm sure there are more reasons.

Unless you install a newer type screen the older Nikons, Canons and my own Pentaxes are much dimmer and harder to focus than an SL. 2-cam lenses are dirt cheap and can be converted to 3-cam for (I recall, from Sherry K)about $50-75 should you ever get an R8. I wouldn't call the SL the best 35mm SLR of all time, I'd still give that honor to the Nikon F, but it's got my vote for the best Leica SLR of all time except for the R8.

when i first got into photography ,about 5 years ago i wanted something of quality and after looking at nikon , canon and leica i went with nikon i guess i was swayed because the avaliability of lenses and bodies but most of all the ruggedness the camera ,it was a f3hp forgot what lens ,anyway i bought it used from a reputable dealer for about 850$.2 weeks later what ever went wrong with it they immediately gave me a full refund on the spot which kind of surprised me that put a bad taste in my mouth ,so i gave it another shot ,again i this time went even further back and bought 2 mint f2,s and about 5 different lenses including a nice 55 f1.2 i used this setup for about 1 year when the cleaner of the 2 cameras winder froze it only cost 140$ to fix but my mint looking camera now had a completely different top half to it that although it worked was worn looking

i went with nikon because i was told leica was expensive and not reliable .

well one day i just could not take it anymore and had to find out for myself so i got all my gear, went to the twice a year camera show in mass.and dumped the nikon for leica ,my first choice was the SL and i got a few lenses right away the viewfinder is much nicer to look through than anything out there even my R7,S

4 years later i,m still hooked on the stuff and i never regret the day i sold my nikon

yes the SL is definetly worth owning not to say i never had a problem its just that there is a market for them as an older camera and they seem to hold there value so if you do have to CLA them they will be good as long as film is around

i now have 5 of them and 2 R7,s with 15 lenses that are compatable through the years

yes start with the SL paul

I got my first SL in 1974, and I sold a Nikon F to get it. Easiest camera decision I ever made. The Nikon was solid and handled well, but the Leicaflex was just awesome. The only viewfinder that's brighter and clearer is the Leica R8/R9. Everything about the way the camera handles and operates is silky-smooth and, if I might go so far as to say, pleasurable. OK, it's a tad heavy, but when shooting telephoto shots, it's steady as a rock.

Compact:

R6 (mechanical)

R6.2 (mechanical)

R7 (automatic)

These three are about he same size. Nice and compact cameras.

Fullsize:

R8 or R9 (automatic)

SL (mechanical)

I have both an SL and a R6.2.

Although they are both manual cameras, they have two very different personalities.

The SL feels and probably is close to indestructible. That's not an exaggeration. When you

pick one of these up for the first time, you'll know what I mean. If I had to pick an R

camera just based on sheer reliability, the SL would win hands down.

It's a fairly beefy camera, that fits very comfortably in your hands. The SL has an amazingly

bright viewfinder and in general feels like a vintage M with an SLR finder. Keep in mind

that the standard SL focusing screen is clear. I had DAG swap mine for a split focus one

from the SL2, but they are very hard to find. I'm not sure which one is better for long

lenses.

The mirror is beautifully dampened and reasonably quiet. The SL's biggest drawback is the

very basic meter and the fact that it can't use certain R lenses, because they would collide

with the mirror. The SL2 fixed this, but there have been problems with the shutter

operating reliably at the 2000th speed. If you want a motor you need a SL MOT. But be

warned, the motor is as big as the camera and they are fairly rare (expensive).

The R6/6.2 is very compact and lighter than the SL. Except for the mirror box, it's the size

of an M. The 6.2 has a very high build quality, but lacks that brick like feeling you get from

the SL, but then again how many cameras are built like that? The finder is extremely bright

and the meter is very accurate. You get two modes, spot and average. The R6/6.2 can use

all R lenses and for about $100 bucks you can get a motor winder, which is really nice.

Reliability is supposedly very good. There were two problematic batches during the run.

One had a problem with the advance lever, the other with the mirror. Both of these

problems were so severe and obvious from the factory, that I am pretty sure that by now

those cameras have been weeded out and rebuilt under the passport warranty.

I've had my R6.2 for about 2 years now. It hasn't exactly been pampered (or deliberately

abused) and I've put maybe 100 rolls though it with the winder. No problems so far.

Salgado uses the R6.2, but I'm pretty sure Leica will air drop him a replacement any time,

day or night.

Take a look at Doug Herr's excellent R site, for more information. He's also one hell of a

wildlife photographer.

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/leica/

If you get an SL send it to DAG, Golden Touch (Sherry Krauter), Kindermann (canada) or

Leica NJ/Solms for a CLA. Trust me, it's worth the money.

http://www.lhsa.org/repair.html

F

Sold my R3 and R4s. A wedding photog used the 3`s for years and they still work for him. The 4 still works for new owner. That said, the SL is best build. Leicaflex is nice, but can`t take some lenses with 60mm filters because the aperature ring interferes with the battery cover. Built like a tank tho. SL11 too much money. R6 R6.2 R7 have a damper for the mirror and I got MUCH sharper pics than with the 4 or 5. A tripod didn`t always help the 4 it was so bad. It went back to Leica and they said it was ok. SL are dampened too.

I've used Contax, Canon and Leica SLR's. The Leicaflex SL is large and heavy---the tradeoff for the best viewfinder of any SLR I've ever used, including the Contax RTS-III. As others have stated, read Doug Herr's info on R bodies. The R4s mod P is a nice body, but once you peer into the viewfinder of the SL, trying to focus using an R4 will seem like going from a 35mm to a sub-miniature camera by comparison.