Time to split the "Nikon" forum perhaps?

marck mcgill

I REALLY do NOT want to start a digi/no-digi thread here, I'm just

writing for convenience's sake, so please take for granted that my

intentions are good and pacific :-)

Well, I (used to) read with amusement the Nikon forum, but lately 80%

of the posts are about the D70. It's a sign of the times and there's

nothing bad in such, but since it appears that most users find

appropriate to post these questions there rather than in the

specific "digital photography" forum, and since - let's say -

Nikkormat users refrain from posting in the "classic cameras" board

since they probably think it's too generic, the Nikon forum is

getting quite messy IMHO.

Did you folks considered the idea of splitting it in two with some

criterium, like the Canon one is splitted in FD - post FD? I really

envy the convenience of the "Canon FD" forum...

How about splitting between the "modern/classic" with the "modern" being the cameras that can used G lenses, and the "modern" lenses being the lenses that work on all such cameras (classic being all the rest)? This would closely match the FD/EOS cut, I think.

Or maybe the arrival of mass-market DSLRs would justify giving each of them (D70, DRebel) a forum of their own?

Yeh, ever since Nikon discontinued the D100 it's been nothing but gripe, gripe, gripe about the D70.

Seriously, Marck, one of the reasons you see so many posts about the D70 is because of the number of reported problems with the camera, at least with the early batches. Where else are they gonna complain? Okay, *besides* Nikon...

Don't worry, soon the D70 will be discontinued and things will go back to normal. Until the next defective model is announced.

The rest of us Nikonistas will smugly fondle our F3's... with their crappy, dim gray meter displays... and our FM2N's... with their know-nothing +o- red LED meter displays. Yup, that's what we need - a forum restricted solely to *our* gripes about our old cameras.

Then the F2 owners could demand their own forum because their Nikons are perfect and they're tired of reading complaints from everyone else.

The question has come up before, and we (Shun and myself) as moderators decided to let things be. Shun shoots pretty much exclusively digital, I shoot pretty much exclusively film (and mostly 'old brass', to boot) so we've got the moderation bases covered.

Some of us like to bitch and moan about configuration 'breaks' (can't meter my 105/1.8 on a D100, can't use a G lens on my F3), but by and large Nikon has a broad range of interoperability. It can be useful for folks to be exposed to the thinking of what they may think of as "the other camp".

The reason the D70 is such a popular topic is simply because it is inexpensive and has a wonderful imaging engine, which makes it really popular. Because so many users are taking up digital with it, a lot of questions arise. Not just about the focusing.

Lex, the D70 is not defective.

Funny how it has already turned into a pro/versus D70 thread, notwithstanding my prologue... ;-)

Lex, you got me wrong. The main point is that I (as many others, I guess) basically enjoy the forums at the office, during lunch or whatever. Let's say during "spare time". Well, I'm sure not a dwell of information for anyone, but I think that few times I really placed the right answer in the right place - as many times someone else did with one of my inquiries - and it's been a true pleasure. Without even mentioning how much I learned by lurking.

Well, recently I very seldom jump onto the Nikon board, because I already know that all of the chat will be about digi or autofocus, and unfortunately the time to go through the threads is always limited. Moreover, many digi users seem to be beginners in both photography and forums (I guess that digi's convenience rises a lot of interest in people who abandoned or never used film cameras), which adds more difficulty in skipping things due to lack of clarity in the thread's titles. But I see your point, and knew from the beginning that changing things is always a pain, expecially in a Forum with such an impressive number of members.

In reagard to what JB Queru wrote, maybe a manual / autofocus split was more in my thoughts. That's where I noticed the big change back then, started seeing tons (actually: grams ;-) of plastic, cheaply barreled lenses and - personally - lost any interest in following the history of the brand any further. What about at least splitting the cathegories in which the topics are archived? Today almost everything fits into the "Nikon SLRs" cathegory.

So if a DXXX camera comes out; and it meters with manual focus auto diaphrame lenses from 1959; which forum would one post questions too?<BR><BR>The split of FD to EOS is easy; the mount completely changed. In Nikon; Manual focus ancient preset telephotos; and alot of autodiapahrame lenses will fit modern cameras; they just dont meter. To somebody who doesnt have to use an internal meter; the worry is darker finders ; hard to focus ; lack of changeable screens.