Worth it to Replace Focusing Screen in Yashicamat 124G?

steve williams

I have a Yashicamat 124G that is in excellent condition. I rarely

use it anymore, since I have better MF cameras, now. I'm thinking I

might want to use it sometimes for B&W film and for a compact MF

camera in conditions I might not want to take a more expensive

camera.

Anyway, the screen is very dark. I've been thinking of replacing the

screen with a Maxwell or a Beattie screen. Is this throwing too much

money into a cheap camera?

Which screen is easier to focus?

Thanks,

Steve

A friend of mine has the same camera and got a beattie screen for it. It was definitly bright and had a microprism on it. The replacement screen beat even his bronicas and cheap is relative to everyone individually. I wanted to replace the dark screen on my yashica lm, but I found the original screen easier for focusing, just not so good for viewing. Accumats went into each of my hasselbleds. I have good things about Maxwells, possibly for my rollei 3.5e3 someday.

If you enjoy using the camera it is definitely worth putting a Maxwell screen in the camera. Don't compare the cost of the screen to the value of the camera, you will reach the wrong decision. Karl Marx defined "Value" 2 different ways. First, there is exchange value: worth in the market place. Second there is use value, what is the objects worth according to your use of the object. Example, I spend my money on camers not cars. In 1996 I bought a 1985 chevy wagon with a rebuilt engine for $1200.00. This year the transmission died. I spent $1500.00 for a "new" transmission because it gives me 2 or 3 years more use of the car. Many people would not have made this decision because the market value of the car was worth less the the repair. Put the screen in the camera, you will start using it alot more.

The new screen helps the economy. The repair guy cleans the old mirror too. You then think all the brightness increase is to the new wazoo screen. The camera repair course I took long ago described this as a "good to great profit center"; and to always tell the customer the brightness increase was due to the new expensive screen and never the mirror cleaning or mirror recoating.

K.F. makes an excellent point. Before you buy anything, clean the mirror yourself and you will see 40 years worth of crud, dust, outgassing, etc. reveal a couple extra stops of brightness. Do the same with the ground glass and fresnel that make up the viewing screen parts. These are fairly easy operations, especially the mirror (the entire hood assesmbly lifts off after removing maybe 4 small screws, and then you can remove the mirror itself for cleaning).

Once you've given it a home cleaning, you'll probably see enough of an improvement that you'll no longer need to spend the money for a new screen.

Garvey