loupes for viewing slides in London - Cabin PL-4

gavinbell

Hi all

I'm looking to buy a new loupe for viewing my slides. I already have a 8x Peak plastic

loupe and I've finally got fed up with the distortion at the frame edges.

So I'm hunting for a decent loupe, but I'm having trouble finding camera shops in

London who stock them.<br>

I've found a Cabin PL-4 35mm loupe in York Cameras, having tried cameraworld, LCE

on the Strand and Jessops, Jacobs and RG Lewis.<br>

The Cabin loupe seems to be the same as the 4x Mamiya, as sold in the USA. Is this

true, has anyone used this loupe. I have used it briefly in the shop and it seemed

good, but it was only for 30 seconds with two slides.<br>

Any other ideas, less than 100 pounds, please so the Schneider 4x or 6x are out of

the question.

I know that Calumet have their 4x rodenstock for about 50 quid, but none of the

branches in London has it in stock and I'd like to try it first.<br>

Thanks for other suggestions and opinions of the PL-4<br>

cheers<br>

Gavin

The Cabin Loupe is fine. Mine came with opaque and translucent hoods, plus a cap and a lightweight neck strap. It certainly isn't headache-inducing like the 8x acrylic loupes. Think I spent about $60 US on it five or six years ago. I use the Schneiders and Rodenstocks at work, and there isn't all that much difference.

In parallel to monitoring this thread, I've been googling a bit more and for the UK

Speedgraphic have the best range, but York Cameras have them in stock and thanks to

Josef confirming that it is good long term, I'll pick the one I have on hold up later in the

week.<br>

For reference York Cameras have 4-5 models in stock including Canon and Nikon etc.

Future availability of the Cabin loupe is in doubt, as their distrubutor has none left. I was

told this by the store this afternoon. For people that come to this thread afterwards,

Calumet do offer a Calument branded, but rodenstock based 4x loupe which is available in

the UK. Currently there are none in stock at their London branches.<br>

I hope that this is of use to others hunting for a loupe in the UK.<br>

cheers<br>

Gavin, I'll write this up on <a href="http://takeoneonion.org/">my personal site</a> too

My brother bought me the Cabin Loupe and I got it yesterday. I'm very pleased with

its construction and the quality of the optics. The loupe comes with two skirts, one

translucent in glass the other metal with internal reflection damping texture on the

inside. The damping is a zigzag flat screw thread moulding. <br>

very clear and pleasant to use and a noticeable jump in quality from the Peak 8x I was

using. The ability to focus the loupe to accomodate my glasses is great. If you can

find one I'd highly recommend it.