Is there a better option than the Epson 4870 flatbed scanner? What

print size at dpi 300 can I get from this scanner when scanned with

max. resolution?

Which DinA3 printers can print panoramas of 3x DinA3 size? Any

experience with the HP 9650?

Any help is much appreciated.

Michael

Michael,

I have been shooting with my G617 for the past three years on Velvia and I have all my tranny's scanned on a Imacon Flextight scanner at various PPI settings. If you hunt around you will find someone who can scan a tranny at a good price, Im paying around $30 Australian for a scan at 3200PPI at 24bit. My file size is around 350MB.

I look at it this way if you opt for a cheep scan, then you might as well have used cheep film as the quality will show in your print.

All my work is printed on Kodak Metallic paper on a Lambda at 250dpi and they come out great.

My site is www.mattlauder.com.au if you want to see the type of work I have scanned.

Matt

Thank?s a lot for your answers. I have another question as I am getting equiped for this panorama camera: What, in your opinion, is the optimal light metering system for this camera? Will the matrix metering system of Nikon camera with a 20 mm lens, that I will anyhow carry with me, be acceptable?

Gruesse,

Michael

I'm going to address your last point only. Outside of the convenience or otherwise of having the Nikon with you at all times, there's the fact that the Nikon will be metering a less wide area side to side(certainly) and a narrower area top to bottom (probably). In short you will be metering to a significant degree different things, and the algorithm which dictates the Nikon's suggestion is not practically speaking available to you to carry out adjustments in the field.

In light conditions which are even across the frame of the 617 it will be ok, but I think this method will let you down in difficult and interesting light. Since you are shooting transparency film which has a small margin for error; and because bracketing is an expensive option at 4 frames per roll, I would strongly suggest a hand-held spotmeter.

Sadly, spotmeters aren't inexpensive though it is possible to find them used. If at all possible I'd get a meter with a one degree accepatance capability. Several manufacturers make these including Sekonic (508/558/608) Pentax and probably Minolta and Gossen too. Personally I use the Sekonic 508 and I like it a lot, but they all tend to work a little differently and the important thing is to get one that fits with the routine you use to make photographs.

• 1 month later...