Hasselblad Tripod Coupling ....

abintraphoto

back when I was using 500 cm cameras I really liked the tripod couplings and used them all of the time on both my tripod and my flash bracket. Now I have the CW and had to change over to the newer coupligs. I feel the newer ones are more secure and hold the camera more stable, but they are alot harder to operate when you are on the go and need to get the camera on fast. All in all they are a great tool. Kevin

Ken,

you have some options. I initially used Kirk or RRS (Really Right Stuff) universal plates on my Hasselblad's to couple with the Arca Swiss Quick-Release adapters I had on every ball and 2-axis head. I use the cameras handheld as well, and did not care for the way they felt with the addition of the plate on the bottom. I bought the Hasselblad Tripod coupling, and though a good system, it is problematic. it isn't near as fast or secure as the Arca Swiss system, and it could be easy to think you have installed the body into the slot, when you have not done so properly. you adjust, but I find it slower and always must take the extra moments to insure I have secured it properly after locking and before letting go.

the problem with this arrangement is that I use 35mm and 4x5 and had to dedicate a head for the tripod coupling. initially, I fit the tripod coupling onto a Bogen plate and used it, but then you have two adapters together. Acratech, the company that makes the new ballhead, makes a plate for the Hasselblad body that mates with the Arca Swiss adapter. you remove the existing bottom rails, and install their version that is wider to match Arca Swiss specifications. that would be an ideal solution except I have four Hasselblad bodies now, and would have to retrofit them all. I believe the pricing is $50-100, though they had a special advertised on the Hasselblad Users Group forum a month ago.

Ken,

I share Daniel's perspective on the Hasselblad tripod coupling. I had it first and then bought the Really Right Stuff adapter when I bought an Arca Swiss ball head. The Arca system is faster to use and feels more secure, IMHO.

However, if you do not the ball head and no plans to get one, the Hasselblad tripod coupling is just fine to use.

-Nick

owning other cameras complicates matters. I enjoy handholding my 203FE and just didn't care for the feel of the AS quick-release plate pressing against my palm. if this is not an issue, or you have a 503cw with the CW autowinder, the AS styled plate and release system might be the best way to go. buying the Hasselblad tripod coupling locks you into a system that cannot be used with other camera types. my final workaround was to use the tripod coupling and dedicate a Gitzo 1349 tripod and G1375M offset head for Hasselblad use. the G1375M is a cruel joke and wouldn't be used otherwise. I would have used my Arca Swiss B1 by removing the AS adapter plate and installing the tripod coupling, except the post on the ballhead is slotted and wouldn't work without crafting a shim adapter. as always, the search continues for the ultimate Hasselblad head.

I use the old style Hasselblad tripod couplings. They are mounted to my ArcaSwiss B1 head (I bought the version with 3/8" screw) and to my flash brackets. You can use other cameras on both old and new style Hasselblad Tripod Couplings with the adapter plate that Hasselblad sells (the original purpose of the adapter plate is to adapt older Hasselblad cameras to the new style tripod coupling).

The downside of the old style tripod coupling is, that even when locked it allows a little camera rotation around a vertical axis. The advantage is that you can use both old and new hasselblad bodies on it without modification.

The downside of the new style tripod coupling is, that you have to buy adapter plates for older Hasselblad cameras and that it is bulky.

The advantage is that it has a bubble lever and the camera is mounted without play.

Ulrik

They are excellent and to be recommended. I have gone over to the Kirk Arca-Swiss style so that it harmonises with my 35mm stuff, but I like the Hasselblad system the best of all for the Hassey itself. The built in spirit level is very nice. I have one for sale see

http://www.photo.net/photodb/presentation.tcl?presentation_id=144397

Email me if you are interested.

Robin Smith

• 3 weeks later...

Ken,

I struggled with the same question a year ago. I have a Hassey

503cw with winder, 45 degree prism, and 50, 150, and 250 mm

lenses that I wanted to mount onto a new Manfrotto (Bogen) Pro-

series tripod. I wanted to mount my Nikon FE onto the same

tripod so I needed to use a quick coupler, QC, that could

accomodate both cameas on the same head.

I thought I wanted a three-axis head similar to my old, cheap

tripod, so I bought the Bogen 410. I took that back the next day

because the adjustments knobs were too small to handle when

the Hassey was mounted. I replaced that with the large Gitzo

magnesium ball head. Big improvement.

Now I couldn't find a good quick release system that worked

comfortably with both cameras. The difference in mounting

screw sizes (Japanese vs. European) and large Hassey with

long 250 lens meant large adapter plates with the Bogen, Gitzo,

and other QCs. Then, the salesman pointed to the Hasselblad

QC. It was exactly what I was looking for! The mounting plate is

standard on the 503cw so I didn't need anything extra there and

the adapter for my Nikon was very reasonable. Compared to any

alternative I looked at the Hasselblad Quick Release is smaller

and can be operated easily even wearing gloves.

The caution mentioned above about making sure you've slid the

camera adapter into the tripod mount properly is valid, but once

attached, the latch is positive and easy to work. The mount

comes with an integral bubble level that makes leveling any

attached camera a snap!

A final note, some of the QCs have elaborate latches and/or

counter latches to prevent accidental disengagement that you

have to get to when the camera is mounted yet not stick out so

far as to catch on anything that comes near. This is especially

important if you do outdoor landscape or wildlife photography

where you are tromping through snagging bushes to get to the

shot.

Good luck.

Jim A.

• 1 month later...

Scott posted

"Hi, We (Acratech) make an Arca style plate that attaches to your

Hasselbald quick release. This way you do not need seperate

plates for all your Hassy bodies and other cameras with Arca

plates can also easly be used"

Could you elaborate. Does this mean that it fits the plate that

comes on the bottom of the Hassy or does it replace it? On the

Arcatech website I see quick release plates, but no mention of

compatibility with the hasselblad quick release.

I ask because I have :

a Hassy 501cm

Hasselblad quick release coupling

ArcaSwiss monoball B1 w/ quick release

The problem is that the Hasselblad quick release coupling fits

the camera great, but not the B1, since it requires a special

plate. I'm looking for a solution. So far all I can come up with is

to get rid of the Hassy quick release coupling, buy a ArcaSwiss

compatible plate and replace the plate that comes with the

Hassy with it.

Thanks for your input.

• 5 months later...