strange pattern on developing HP5

Hi, I am new in developing B&W film. I have developed a roll of HP5

with very strange grain pattern. Anyone know what's the problem ?

Developer: T-Max

Fixer : Ilford rapid fixer

Temp: 20C

Time for development : 6.5mins

Time for fixing : 3 mins

Steps.

1. developer for 6.5 mins

2. fixer for 3 mins

3. Hypo cleaning for 2 mins

4. running over tap water 15 mins

5. Photoflo for 1 mins.

en developing a roll of HP5 without any push and pull using TMax

developer and Ilford Rapid Fixer

Thx

Alex<div>00Asvs-21516384.thumb.jpg.3498a69fc7eb5ff236794f5ec971dc37.jpg</div>

Dear Alex,

You are seeing what is called reticulation. It is caused by not having your various chemistries at the same temperature. Sudden changes in expansion or contraction of the emulsion causes the patterens you see. I think I read somewhere that, for b&w, all fluids should be withing ?4?F, but I like to keep them closer than that. If I had to guess, I would say that your wash water is the culprit.

Next time, keep your wash water in jugs near the other solutions overnight. If you follow Kodak or Ilford instructions, you will find that you don't need that much wash water, a gallon or so will suffice.

Neal wydra

Neal,

Thx for your answer. All the solutions I used are around 20C. Except for washing, it is much higher (> 30C) . I originally think that the developed film shall be stablized after the fixing therefore not care about the washing temperature.

Alex

Ooo-ow! 30C? That'll do it. Although using a fixer with an acid hardener (e.g. KODAK Rapid Fix) can help a bit.

Classic reticulation. The gelatin softens/swells up in the warm water, and then shrivels unevenly as it cools, sort of akin to the cracked patterns that appear in desert mud or "crackle-texture" spray paint when they dry. If your Photoflo was significantly cooler, that probably added to the contraction and shriveling.