Hasselblad 500c Reliability

wmwhee

In general, is the 500c a reliable camera? What about the reliability of the

original film back for this camera? As an amateur photographer, I would use

the camera occasionally as opposed to every day. I am looking at the c model

rather than the c/m because of difference in cost--in other words, to save

money. Thanks. Bill W.

Bill, the 500c was in production for a long time, and even though the externals didn't change much they evolved over that period, so a later camera (all other things being equal) should be more reliable than an earlier model. You've also got to remember that the very earliest 500c's are now nearly 50 years old! If it's had a hard professional life then that's an awful lot of punishing exposures it's now soaked up. Thirdly the earlier C series lenses may also have taken a great deal of abuse over the years, and some spare parts aren't available.

Yes of course there's individual 500c's out there still doing sterling service, but if you want a camera to use rather than collect then personally I'd spend that bit extra and get a later 500cm.

For film camera's, the Hasselblad has been at the top of the medium-format pile in

professional use. The 500c is almost a universal camera. I have Hasselblad 500c bodies

from the 1970's that I still use and they work just fine, without ever having a CLA. The

film backs are also robust, but if a film back gives you problems, it can be repaired, or you

can just replace it. Plenty of 120 film backs around to purchase used. The Zeiss lenses

have leaf shutters. These shutters can get sticky over time and not fire correctly, but

these can be cleaned and brought back to operation by a multitude of camera repair

people. All parts of the 500c system can be repaired. I don't think you will have any

problems with a 500c that can't be corrected. The fact that the Hasselblad system that is

based around the 500 series body is so modular means that as you add pieces you can

swap out lenses, bodies and film backs if you ever had a problem that needs servicing,

and still not be without a functioning camera while parts are away being fixed.

McCluney Photo

Hasselblad bodies need a factory-quality CLA every 5 years or so to maintain their reliability. Lenses and backs too. That done, they are extremely reliable.

The 500cm has interchangeable focus screens, whereas the 500c requires disassembly. The original focus screens are pretty dim. You should consider installing an Acute-Matte D.

Edward,<br><br>Even without a CLA every 5 years, Hasselblads are extremely reliable. There are many old ones about which do perfectly fine, without having seen a service in donkey's years. If ever at all.<br><br>With lenses it is the same.<br>Gene mentioned that shutter scan get sticky over time. And they indeed do get sticky, but only when not used for long times. Regular use keeps them in good shape.<br><br>Magazines, alas, do need the light trap changed now and again.<br><br>Now i do not want to suggest that regular service might not benefit the longevity of a Hasselblad. Especially when used heavily, a regular check up will be good.<br>But to say they "need" a CLA every 5 years is a bit too much. Some may do, most do not.

I trained at a wedding studio for a time and was advised to go for a Bronica SQ series purely because of reliabilty. The studio employed 50 or so photographers covering most of the Midlands (UK) across 5 studio's.

I'd say about 5 or 6 out of 50 of those photographers shot with various Hasselblads, the rest shot Mamiya's Bronicas and a few Pentax. Most had had issues with Hassleblads reliabilty and switched because of this.

Too much downtime.

Thanks for the responses to my questions. I may do further research into the difference in cost between the 500c and the 500c/m. Given my lousy eyesight, I would probably have to add the price of a bright replacement screen. I have looked briefly at bronica sq equipment, which is priced right, but know and like zeiss lenses. Thanks again, everyone.

Hasselblads are so fragile and error prone that they were selected by NASA to be used during the Apollo moon landings as well as many other space flights before and after.

An abused camera will never be as dependable as one taken relatively good care of so buy from a reputble user. Many were used extensively in studios on tripods so look pristine. Always look at the back of the camera for wear from removing backs and the bottoms for extensive wear to the tripod mounting plate. THe bodies themselves have few moving parts and they are all replaceable as well.

Good luck.

I imagine that most of the reliability complaints are really about jams caused by neglecting to make sure the lens, magaizine and body are both wound before taking them off or putting them on. If a Hasselblad should happen to jam, it can usually be fixed with a $1.00 pocket screwdriver. My Hassie 500 C/M has not jammed in years.

Some people buy expensive cars and don't have time to change the oil but every 30K miles too. On the other hand, I've always changed my oil every 3K miles, and CLA my Hasselblads at least every 2 years. I've never had an engine or power train failure or even so much as a jammed Hasselblad since I started using them professionally in 1978.

That's fine Russ, in your experience Hasselblad has been good for you. This doesn't mean that anyone else's experience's with the system, if different from yours is Bu** Sh** as you so eloquently put it. If you suggest I am lying that's also fine. It says more about you than me. I was just stating what I had been told.

Ashley, It doesn't matter what system you use, so long as it gives you the results you want. One look at the fearless picture taking over in the Classic Camera section shows some fantastic results with $10 cameras. I'm not a wedding photographer, but if shooting Bronica, Mamiya, Fuji, or Yashica is what you do and you wage your professional reputation on it, then great. You found the tool you need.

I select a brand on three criteria: 1) Is it reliable? 2) Does the camera support the lens platform I intend to use? 3) Will the vendor treat me well if I were to encounter a problem? If for you, that's Bronica, then what else matters?

Nothing else matters Michael. I just relayed what was told to me, nothing more nothing less. Russ then decides to throw a two word reply at my post (or swears). Are we only allowed to post positives here? or are people so in love with their prefered brand that they will having nothing said that counters their experience? if so then that sucks.

After all it's only a camera. Bentleys break down, Rolex's break occasionaly, Heck I even have an Omega Speedmaster (NASA lovers note)and they went to the moon but it still developed a problem once. Nothing is perfect. Not even a Hasselblad!

Well they certainly require less adherance to the service schedule. Just like a quartz watch requires less service than a mechanical or Automatic wristwatch.

Talk about people ganging up. jeez. Chill out guys, just move the camera away from the pedestal and put it in it's bag...... but not for too long or it may just seize up.

No need to be so reverential.

• 2 weeks later...

I originally had an old 500C that had the two alignment holes on the front. When the

mirror did not operate properly, my technician had to repair a pneumatic cylinder that

controlled the mirror.

He mentioned that the seals on the pneumatic piston were always problematic. Sometime

during the production of the original 500C (not 500C/M) in the 1960s, that design was

changed to a more reliable spring based mechanism.

I would recommend staying with 500C/Ms for any real shooting, since there were

unannounced changes made to the 500C over time.