calbe a49/atomal question

ben_folds

hi all,

i just got some calbe A49, which is supposed to be like atomol f(?). i understand it's grain

eating developer. should i try starting times suggested for agfa atomal?

has anyone developed tri-x in A49, and if so, did you dilute it 1:2, 1:3? seems like i'd get

more speed from diluting some, but i can't find any times for this developer at high

dilutions. any suggestions on starting times? if nobody knows, i'll test it out and let ya

know.

thanks,

ben

Hello Ben,

development times can be found here:

http://www.calbe-fotochemie.com/prod/pdf/A49.pdf

Unfortunately the English data sheet doesn't work on the webside.

You can dilute A 49 1 + 1 and 1 + 2. I suggest for TriX 7.5 min for pure A 49 and a extension factor of 1.4 if diluted 1 + 1 (which I also recomend) 1. minute permanent agitation and for the rest 1 per minute.

To your original question, don't dilute it more than 1 + 2!

Have fun, I expect you will like the results.

Best regards

Robert

Ben,

no, the Atomal FF-times aren?t appliable.

I recently started using A49, in my case with 35mm FP4+ - which gave me very nice results... I didn?t like the film if developed with D76H or Rodinal, coarse grain, ugly look. But A49 took care of it, homogenous surfaces, nice grain, fair sharpness.

Fp4+ at EI80, 22?C (summer!), 5:30min, A49 1+1 in my Rondinax tank.

Dilluting it will result in larger grain, higher sharpness and a higher resulting film speed - 1+1 is the most common application.

To make it last longer mix it with half the given amount of water and mix your working solution accordingly - the powders will solute completely, the solution will be stabile for at least 3month (I used it up in that period). Don?t be irritated when tiny black bits form in the solution, looking like dead flies or charcoal - thats from the developing agent and normal. It will increase the older the solution is and it doesn?t harm - just be careful to wash the film before putting it in the fixer or the dirt will contaminate the fixer.

Oh, for starting times - use the Phototec calculator.

http://www.phototec.de/e_rechner.htm

It?s in german, but self-explanatory - Standard gives you the time the mathematical model uses as a basic number, below is the time including the defined variation. Temperature, Gradation, agitation scheme.

TriX, A49 undiluted, 20?C, 1min Agitation, beta 0,62 it asks for 7:30min. Add a compensation for the 1+1 dilution and you are done.

Best,

Roman