mostly on an on camera flash (guide number 130) that I turn and

bounce from the ceiling which has worked pretty well untill now. I

have recently purchased a digital rebel and my flash does not work

with this camera. I am looking for something with about the same

power as my on camera flash for under $200. I found something on

adorama-- http://www.adorama.com/JTSL160LPK.html

and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this type of

lighting or any other sugggestions.

please dont buy a JTL system...they are not very well made.

You may want to check out a used Speedotron Brownline on ebay or a used Norman 200b system. I think I saw a Photogenic 600 on sale in the classifieds too.

For softboxes, look for a used small Chimera.

If you want new, an Alien Bee 400 would also be fine as well.

]good luck, phil

Ellis has hit the nail squarely.Place your subjects near a window that has large amounts of skylight,and use a white piece of cardboard as reflector for fill.This set up,or shooting outdoors under some sort of overhang that blocks direct light,can mimic a $2,000.00 light kit!Total cost:about $5 for a 30x40 sheet of foamcore board.

It seems like nobody asked Amber if she had a window for available light. She did state that she was in a studio that she was setting up. That sounds like her problem would be getting a workable flash setup. Earlier I suggested she go to a another forum for info on the JTL's. For my 2 cents thet are really inferior lights and not woth the money.

Amber the best advise I can give is to try and go with something like the Alien Bee's mono lights. The cost a little under $300. but are a more professional solution to your problem. The next problem is you need stands, light modifiers and reflectors. That's the problem. To get a decent system you do have to spend a little money if you are doing studio work and want decent results. I know my answer goes against what others have said about being able to do it for less or by using available light. Again they are right too so you have to take our combined advise and see what works best for you. Just keep asking those questions until the right answers pop up.

www.alienbees.com