both inside and outside the park. I have camped there before, but

that was during warmer weather, and back then my primary goal was

trout fishing. I camped mostly at a campground near West Yellowstone

because I was frequently running to Idaho to fish the Henry's Fork

during that trip, but I also stayed at the campground near Slough

Creek in the park.

I will be taking a Canon 1D MK II, 10D, 500 F4, 180 Macro, 24-70L and

100-400L. I will also take two flashes, both teleconverters,

extension tubes, two tripods, filters and etc.

Any tips on travel, location or equipment will be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Mary

Mary,

The big attraction for me in the fall is the Elk rut. Stay at the Norris Meadow campground. Later in September is better and it can be very cold that time of year or very pleasant. You also may see Coyote, Buffalo, or Swans along the Madison River.

It can be a zoo of people as well. Grass will be wet in the mornings so Gore-Tex boots would come in handy as well as tripod leg covers and light textured-palm gloves.

Always be aware of the Bulls. While they won't normally pay attention to photographers if they get surrounded they will look for a way out, which just might be through you.

And you "will" know where they are because they bugle. I can't think of anything more soul-stirring as a nature photographer than the sound of bugling Elk.

Makes me want to be there.

Good luck,

Mary,

If it were me I'd go when there is the best chance to photograph wolves in the Lamar Valley area (within your general timeframe), which is probably more towards October than August. If it happens to snow in the high country it could push them down lower. Anyway, it's something to study and be aware of... if you get lucky it could be really good. They keep the north rd in the park open through the winter, so Oct should be a reasonably good bet.

Have fun, - Greg -

I've visited Yellowstone several times in September. The later in September you go the better. I've never had an issue with snow and driving during September. It can get cold in September, but tent camping is still doable. Good camping areas in the park at that time would be Norris, Madison, and Mammoth campgrounds. I've found the area of the Madison river and Hayden Valley to have the best wildlife opportunities in September. Lamar Valley has always been rather quiet in my experience at that time of year. Yellowstone doesn't have much in the way of Fall colors. Its mostly Lodgepole Pine. The northern portion of the park, say from Mammoth to Roosevelt to Lamar Valley is where most of the Aspen trees are. The peak Aspen colors typically occur during the last week of September. If I were visiting as long as you are, I would consider the first week of October. By the end of September, first of October, the crowds will be much diminished. Be aware, many in-park services shut down for the season throughout September.

I would add a good window mount to your equipment list. Also double up on your boots and long pants and long sleeve shirts. Your first set will likely get soaking wet during morning shoots. I agree with all of the other responders re date. I suggest you go to Grand Teton NP as part of your trip, esp the area around Ox Bow Bend for moose images.It borders Yellowstone. Some of my best images in Yellowstone were of buffalo at Geyser Basin in early morning light with the steam rising on cold mornings from the geysers. I would spend at least three nights at the lodge near Old Faithful. I am not sure if there is a campground there. I would check an astronomy web site to find out the times and locations of moon rises and moon phases while you are there. You might be able to get some great images of a full moon rising--any maybe with an animal in the foreground if you are lucky. Have a great trip. Joe Smith

Mary,

When Joe mentioned the window mount it reminded me of a Yellowstone story.

My wife and I were there in 98 to photograph the Elk rut. One afternoon we were driving along the Madison and we saw a bunch of cars at one of the pull-offs. Seems a Coyote had chased a Mule Deer down the hill on the far side of the river. While descending, the deer broke a hind leg and was severely disabled. He was standing in the Madison with the Coyote waiting on shore. The two of them played this game where the Coyote would disappear and the Deer would come back onto dry land. The Coyote would then chase the Deer back into the water. We watched for four hours, I was hoping to get some action shots but darkness came and we left.

The next morning we returned to that pull-off and as My wife drove by a Coyote ran right in front of the truck and up a slight hill on my side. She had to brake to keep from hitting him and I expected this animal to keep running but he didn't do that. He stopped at the rise turned around and looked at me and laid down. I was stunned but fortunately I had my camera in my lap and my Kirk window mount on the floor. I guickly installed the mount, then the camera and fired off a dozen frames before he got up and disappeared behind the rise.

It always pays to be ready. Here's wishing you the same luck.

cheers,<div>0095xh-19096884.JPG.1733d1e7898124e5c7513c90dd10cf36.JPG</div>

Thank you all for the information and good wishes you provided. I have decided to arrive at Yellowstone NP around September 10-12, and to stay until October 8-9, depending on weather conditions.

I have a window mount, and my normal mode of operation when photographing from my car is to set up my window mount on the driver side, and a tripod on the passenger side. The Gitzo 1325 (leg covers in place) is kept ready for action in the back seat. My hope is that I can do most of my work away from my vehicle, but I always try to be flexible in my approach as conditions dictate.

I will try to make it to the Grand Tetons, as Joseph recommended, and I am also wondering if I should make a run up to Glacier for a few days. Guess the best thing is to play that by ear.

I've printed out all of your tips and placed the information in my Yellowstone folder, which I will refer to while planning (and also during) my trip. Again, thank you all.

Mary

Mary,

I have been to Yellowstone twice in the winter and this year is my first time in the fall. My understanding is that traffic is less from the tourists but you have to fight for tripod space from the photographers. We will be there for a week starting Sept. 19th. Look for the motorhome with an Oregon license plate of 600f4 with a bunch of big white lenses stuck out of it.

I have been chased out of Glacier by snow, a lot of snow, a whole s*it load of snow, in late August/early September. It is not a quick ride from Yellowstone to Glacier. Since you were concerned about the weather in Yellowstone, I would have second thought about Glacier as a side trip during the time frame you are proposing.

Paul