My N80 is scratching film, where to repair in London?

tales of a flaneur

John sometimes it is worth to have a close look at all surfaces in contact with film. Wipe them clean (first dry and then if needed with a damp clean cotton fabric) and inspect in good light with a magnifying glass. Could solve the problem unless its really severe.

This is a report flaw in the N80's from a while back. I had mine fixed under warranty in 2002. You might stand a chance of yelling at nikon, and getting them to fix it for free. People have had success getting Nikon to fix out of warranty cameras when its proven to be a prior issue, kind of like when you have a car that had a recall...

Thanks for the responses. I brought the old thing to Fixation this morning - was a wonderful little place tucked away amid the industrial blech around Vauxhall - and they seemed to think it would run about ?80.

Not very pleased by that. I'll receive a proper quote in a few days.

Wondering if I should just buy something else ... I don't have much ? for a replacement ... and what to do with this Tamron 18-200 lens!

Uh, how did you arrive at the problem being the camera, and not from the processing?

A good quick test is easy to perform, and will let you know where the problem is from.

Load a roll of film and shoot only half of it. Now have it processed and ask to make sure that the dark (unexposed) half of the film is also given back to you, just as if it was a normal strip of negatives.

Now check the film. If the only scratched film is the part that has images, then the camera was the problem. If all of the film has scratches, then the lab is the problem, since the unexposed part of the film was never in your camera, but was instead still in the cassette.

It might be worth doing this test before you spend money on a "repair" that might not fix the true probelm if it is the lab.

This is a common issue. It might just need a clean.

Try this:

Load a cheap roll of film. Fire off a few shots. Open the back without re-winding.

Can you see any scratches on the film? If so you can see about where the camera is scratching it.

It's a good bet that it is the pressure plate. Dust/grit gets stuck in the little dimples on the pressure plate.

Get it cleaned, along with the take-up spool rollers.

I had the same problem. A simple clean fixed it.

Regards,

Matt.