2.25 x 3.25" cut film?

eli_chartkoff1

I was over at Freestyle Photo in Hollywood yesterday and noticed that they're

carrying 2.25 x 3.25" cut film from two different manufacturers--Efke is one, I

can't remember the other. I thought this format was discontinued long ago.

Apart from the Baby Graphic, were there any other cameras manufactured to take

this size film (I knoew there were lots of plate cameras for this size, but I'm

talking sheet film)? 25 sheets only cost 8 bucks, and I imagine you could put

the negs in a 6x9 medium format carrier? I admit I'm kinda intrigued.

The film is a bit smaller than 6x9 - 2.25 inch is 56mm - the size of the frame on 6x9, but the rollfilm is a bit wider. You cannot process the film in a 120 spiral (as I thought I was going to be able to do before I tried)and you cannot use a 6x9 glassless or single glass carrier in your enlarger, however a double glass one will work. regarding other cameras I don't really know - I saw the Baby Graphic and it was love at first sight - it is sooooo cute. The car picture in my gallery was taken with it.

You can special order 2.25x3.25 films from Ilford, and perhaps Kodak. Check J and C photo for deadline dates for the special orders. I believe that they come around twice a year. I like my Crown Graphic, which is the 2x3 size, and I've seen reducing backs for 4x5 cameras, as well as a few monorails, although I can't remember the manufacturer's names right now. I think Peter Gowland made some, but I'm certain there were others as well.

- Randy

Well, a lot of plate cameras had film holders that also took sheet film. The Kodak ones for the Recomar 18 and 33 are universal: plate or sheet film, and very nicely designed. There were also film sheaths to adapt plate holders to sheet film.

The Graflex SLR cameras came in lots of sizes, not just 4x5. There were 3A sized ones (3-1/4 x 5-1/2 inches), too.

9x12 cm is still holding on in Europe, Kodak makes a few films available in that size, Agfa did too. Essentially the European equivalent of 4x5 inch.

You can process these film sizes "taco style" in a roll film tank. Form a cylinder (emulsion in), and wrap with two rubber bands. No overlap of the film, of course. Toss a few in the tank, process normally. You may need to fix a bit more in a tray afterwards.

Then there were film packs. There were a lot of consumer cameras that took film packs, that persisted on the market for a while after roll films became popular.

The Mamyia C series TLR has a plate/cut film back. My kit is used on a Mamyia C3 TLR, ie a 120 roll film 6x6cm camera. You remove the 120 or 220 back and install the single sheet back. The kit comes with 3 film holders labeled 1, 2 and 3. When you rotate the lever on the film holder it reads the number of the holder or "E". The film holders have an internal insert/frame that one normally does not remove. If you use 2 1/4 by 3 1/4" sheets of film you place the film sideways in the insert. If you use glass plates like for scientfic spectra or astro work you remove the insert, and slide the glass plate in sideways in the place where the removeable insert was removed. The glass plates are slightly larger; say 3 1/2 inches roughly. The dimensional stability of plate glass for astro work was tightly controlled. These cut film/plate holders have a dark slide on removes for each shot, then inserts back after each shot. There is are no two shot holders for the Mamyia C TLR like a speed graphic.<BR><BR>The Kodak Medalist 620 rangefinder; an 8 shot 2 1/4 by 3 1/4 camera also has a cut fil adapter too. <BR><BR>Kodachrome was available in 2 1/4 by 3 1/4 before the mid 1950's.

My Mamiya Super 23 normally shoots a 6X7, 6X9, 6X6, or 6X4.5 on 120 or 220 film depending on which back you use. However, it also has a 2X3 sheet film back and a rear bellows that does swings and tilts. I picked up a box of each speed of the 2.25 by 3.25 Efke film from Freestyle, but haven't tried it out yet. Pretty cheap! $24 for 75 sheets. You can get used 6X9 film hangers, but I just tray process sheet film for best results. If not the Mamiya, a 2X3 Graflex will take that film.

Keith

I'm thinking that the adjustable plastic roll film reels might be modified to accept the cut film. It might require someone with a Bridgeport style milling machine or custom engineering your own drill press to do the same, but I think it can be done. I've pondered making custom extensions for the Patterson reels that would allow bigger sheets to be fed in, but haven't yet seen a good reason to spend the money to have it done....

I've had mixed luck with the "taco" style development technique since the film binder has to be just the right size or it might distort the film after it gets thoroughly wet, and the bundle may bounce around in the tank and get scratched. It's do-able but I find it less than satisfying....