Filters

helen_manton

Well that depends on who you ask. I use Hoya HMC (Hoye Multi Coated) filters. Very well priced and perform excellent, you'll get a lot of diffenent opinoions about the various brands like B+W, Tiffen, ect but the Hoya's haven't let me down yet. You may want to start with a UV or Skylight, and don't forget a polarizing filter. Good luck.

Hi Helen - yes, a UV is usually a good idea as is a Polarizer (a circular Polarizer). In terms

of what brand to use, people tend to have a lot of different opinions. In my view, B&W are

unrivaled. However, they also cost a pretty penny. Given that you do not have pro lenses,

you probably don't need to spend that kind of money. As far as I know, Hoya provides a

great and much cheaper alternative.

I currently use both Hoya and Tiffen. I see no problems with either. I would certainly recommend the multi-coated versions if you wish to minimize ghosting and flare when photographing bright and contrasty subjects. A polarizer is no panacea, but can improve many scenics and photos containing foliage. Do a search on polarization to find some of the many applications for this very useful filter.

• 4 weeks later...

I use a Hoya HMC PL-CIR and it helps a lot when shooting into bright sky, water, &

anywhere with a lot of reflection. Let me know what you find, but for a good basic filter

the polarizer is a good choice for color & B/W. Good luck! PS. Mine was about $65-70.

There was cheaper and more expensive filters, so I went with what was the same quality as

my current equipment.