cable release adaptor for yAsHiCa tlr

affen_kot

this question was posted to MFdigest back in 1999 (and possibly a

few times since), but after coming up cold following the thread's 5

year old suggestions, it might be time to ask again...

can anyone offer a decent lead as to where a man could get the

necessary adaptor which allows one to use a standard cable release

on a yashica TLR (124 and 635 models)?

after reading around, it looks as though i'm not the only one at

p.net hunting for one of these elusive little devices. any thoughts?

cheers...affen

I actually saw some on the bay but that has been awhile back now. Have you tried there? I believe I found it while searching the listins for either "Yashica A" or "yashica G" Here is this what you need,the adapter????http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30055&item=3836149593&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

It is called "leica nipple" sometimes. I just went to a photo store and asked the guys if they have such an adaptor. They had to look for about 10 minutes but they had it. It cost me 11 euro, tho'.

It looks like a nipple:) , which has a big hole in it, where the normal cable release can be screwed in. The other, thicker side has an even bigger thread hole, that screws onto the frame of the shutter release button. A little ring might be needed to be removed from around the shutter release button to reveal the thread.

The adapter will cover the whole shutter release button.

I think B&H also has it. Or was it adorama?dunno.

huh. on Weebay, i tried a couple of search queries, but for some reason the key search terms "monkey soup ladle" and "shiver me timbers" didn't bring up anything about tlr release adaptors.

odd.

anyway, thanks a ton for pointing me in the right direction. that saved me - and hopefully others more adept than i at choosing query terms - some trouble.

cheers...affen

If all you want is a straight one, then you can buy it new from B&H. It is called a Leica/Nikon F cable release adapter.<P>

However, what you really want is one of the angled ones. The problem with the straight one is that it sends the cable release sticking out in front of the taking lens. You have to tension it to make sure it stays out of the way--which partially defeats the purpose of a cable release. There are ones for the Yashicas that are angled so that the release angles away from the taking lens. Last I checked, B&H and Adorama were out of these and did not expect more. They are hard to find, but IMO much preferable.

thanks, patric. while off buying my leica bell/nipple/whathaveyou just now - another nod for the information - i stumbled across some old posts about the cable release/adaptor rig obstructing the final shot somewhat due to it's jutting out like it does. additionally, other sites' threads mention the cable release on some tlr's as a 'dangerous territory,' because of its placement. so should i be weary of this?

Affen Kot wrote: "other sites' threads mention the cable release on some tlr's as a 'dangerous territory,' because of its placement. so should i be weary of this?"

Maybe, if the cable release sticks out too long before it can bend. I prefer to use the "old cloth type".

This one would be perfect for you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30055&item=3836807708&rd=1

It's made this way, with no adapter to lose or forget in a drawer. :-)

Strange... My Yashica MAT 124G uses the "standard" cable release that I use on my Nikon FE2.

<p>

The one listed in the link above and the "Hama" cable release adapter on B&H look like the one for my Dad's Nikon F2 but you have to unscrew the top half of shutter release button to screw on the cable release.

and right you are. the 124 does almost universally take the standard cable release. i say almost because i've run across some hybrids on PeeBay, which consisted of a mixture of 124 parts (nameplate included) and the rest from other yashica tlr remnants. with the semantics of 'a rose by any other name' aside, some people who are new to tlr's such as myself could buy and have bought these, thinking fully that they have a 124 when in reality their little frankenstein has needs that a normal 124 does not. several real models of yashica tlr's though, including the 635 and the D, do require nipples.

nipples...affen