Kodak UK Film Plant Closure

This is on top of Ilford in the UK shedding 330 jobs in August. I'm afraid that I believe Kodak may be 'letting' film die rather than trying to promote it.<p>

In the UK we are seeing an increase in the availability of film from China, Hungary and other countries. They have been making film for a long time and, even with the cost of transport to the UK, they sell for half the price of the Kodak equivalent.<p>

I'm cynical by nature, but I believe that film should be MUCH cheaper than the price it's currently sold at. It's no wonder that people are swapping to digital point-and-shoots in droves.

<blockquote>...They have been making film for a long time and, even with the cost of transport to the UK, they sell for half the price of the Kodak equivalent.

I'm cynical by nature, but I believe that film should be MUCH cheaper than the price it's currently sold at...</blockquote>

When E100VS--Kodak's answer to Provia/Velvia--came out recently, it sold for $8 a roll--in 35mm! Now it sells for...the same amount!

Just to clarify matters:

The 600 redundancies announced by Kodak UK today includes staff cutbacks at other

Kodak facilities in the UK along with their plant closure in Nottingham.

The quote of "98% of all new cameras now sold in the UK are digital" was made by the BBC

reporter on the Kodak story and not by the Kodak spokesman.

Sorry for any confusion.

Here is the URL for the official Kodak Press Release:

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=2709&pq-locale=en_US&gpcid=0900688a8027cfd2

I appears the French plant is the only one left that makes the Kodachrome 40 8mm movie film. Wonder what other film "deaths" they are trying to "slide by the consumer" by announcing generic plant closings? Couldn't be Technical Pan, they already slathered that one with Kodak Bar-B-Que sauce.

Robert Johnson

Most people don't buy film or digital because of the cost. The mains reasons for mass market digital cameras are;

1. They're new and exciting.

2. You can see the picture straight away.

3. Lots of people have home computers and can emails their pics around and so on.

I've started seeing people using their phone cameras more. I don't believe there is much of a market for digital compact cameras in the long term.

There was plenty of 110 film on sale in a supermarket in Bracknell (UK) last time I went in. My local high street film processor still accepts 110.<p>Pentax 110 SLR's are quite popular with collectors, so don't wish it away too soon!<p>

Negatives and prints over 100 years old still exist. Will there be many of today's JPEG's around in 2104?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The Kodak UK plant has been replaced by Grunwick (a Bonusprint venture). Also, you do know that very few camera manufacturers make any profit in the UK? The majority actually make a loss in the UK but they need the market presence. The only reason Canon sell cameras here is because everybody knows they make cameras but they really make their money on photocopiers. Even Jessops only make 0.005% profit.

http://www.advfn.com/quote_Jessops_LSE_JSP.html