Any Way to Reset Pentax 67II

larry_menzin

Is there a way to reset a P67II camera? My camera has gone nuts on me

with the frame counter suddenly returning to 0 in the middle of a

roll and the camera completely losing track of whether there is film

in the camera. Although there is no film in the camera, I can wind

the lever and fire the camera indefinitely. Is there a way to reset

the camera?

I've tried replacing the batteries to no effect. Any suggestions?

Larry, I don't know about the reset, but my 67 II will cock and fire without film. I thought this was normal operation for this model. In fact, the instruction manual suggests to cock and fire off a few frames without film to get acquainted with the camera. About the other problem with the camera going nuts, I can't help you. When I get home I will take another look in the instruction book; perhaps it will say something about a reset. Regards.

The exact same thing happened to my friend's 67II when we were on two consecutive trips to the Eastern Sierras. It would suddenly happen every now and then, and when it did he would wind the roll and start again. It seemed to happen about every fourth roll or so, and only a trip to Pentax for a repair finally fixed it. I have a junk roll of 120 that I use for investigations of this sort. I put it in and don't worry about actually making images, and then I flip it over and run it through again and again!

My friend didn't tell me how much it cost, although he alluded to the fact that it was more than he was thinking. He does OK financially, so I suspect that it was a significant amount. He also was worried about the turnaround time (this was also last Fall just before the leaves), and when he mentioned this to Pentax and that he shoots as a "professional" (they didn't push or ask what exactly that means - although he does earn his living through his photography), they turned it around in about 2 weeks I believe. I don't know if this cost him more or not. Sorry I can't help more. Good luck with it.

I worked with the camera this morning to verify that it needs service. I've had the frame reset problem 4-5 times and solved it in the past by replacing the battery. This time the frame counter just goes blank with a roll loaded. It's off to Pentax for repair.

I do have a second, older 6x7 body as a backup. It's a lot heavier and does not have the spot meter that I've gotten used to on the 67 II body. Also my RRS tripod plate is only good in the 67 II body. You get spoiled with all this fancy new equipment!

Well, this is what it has in the troubleshooting section of the manual.

When you get an "E" and some figures:

First figure after E is 1 or 3 -> Send it in for repair

Second figure after E is 1, 2, or 3 -> If there is film in the camera, wind it to the end and remove the film. Press shutter and if the E disappears then camera is fixed. Pentax recommend a check though just in case.

If Perr is displayed take viewfinder out and replace two or three times. If the error display disappears then the camera is OK.

And finally, the camera might malfunction in rare cases from static electricity. Take batteries out and put them back in to fix.

Don't know if it helps but I thought I'd just put it in just in case someone needed the info later.

Hi every body,

I had the same problem. And found a sollution, so far. It seems

like the problem starts if you do not (as I didn't) wind the film all

the way to "End" (four strokes with 120-film). If you only wind

three strokes, it seems like there is something building up on

the chip. And it goes banana, exactly like described. After I

always wind my Pentax II to "End", I'm out of the problem. So far.

Bert Wiklund