exposure compensation for cross processing

I've read just about every thread google finds for cross processing

at this site, and I still haven't seen a definite answer to my

question.

I'm going to, for the first time, shoot film today that will be cross

processed. I have a roll of Sensia 100 but I may buy a roll of

either Provia or Velvia at 100 to use instead. In either case, I

have seen people who advise to shoot up to 2 stops under, or 2 stops

over, but which is it? That's a significant difference.

Also, if anyone has any good recommendations for film to try out for

cross processing I'd like to hear :)

Thanks everyone

Nick,

This may not be the answer that you want to hear but why not shoot a test roll at different exposures and have it processed. It's only a few minutes of your time and the cost of one roll of film and processing is minimal. While you're at it test several emulsions to see how they react. You may prefer one type of film or another.

Shooting your own tests will incorporate your own equipment, metering technique and choice of film type. You'll have a much more definitive answer to your question.

Seems pretty obvious to me.

Answer #1: If I remember correctly most people recommend rating the film 2 stops slower (i.e. rate ISO 100 film at ISO 25). I might be totally wrong on that one.

Answer #2: bracket. a lot.

You'll get good results rating at box speed and then processing Normal (in C41).

I wouldn't advise underexposing.

If you want to experiment further, try over exposing a stop or two and then pull-

processing (try -1).

Good films to cross-process? Kodak EPP, Agfa RSXII 100.

Nick:

I've shot Fuji 100 Sensia at 125 ASA and cross processed (C-41)successfully. It's a good starting point, but again, you'll have to experiment if you want exhibition/competiton quality results.

I do (will did) a fair amount of cross processing, I like the effect, but lately Photoshop has taken over, but that's another post. If you just want to try it, fine, go ahead and shoot a roll. But if you want to get serious, I found that it was best to shoot the scenes you think you want, on normal slide film, then copy them and have the copy film cross processed.

Have fun

Glenn

I rate a 100 ISO transparencies at E.I. 50 and then process normal. I normally shoot Kodak E100VS, Agfa RSX II 50 and Fuji Velvia 50 (for studio). I've always find that shooting at the exact ISO will blow out the high values. Try experimenting. 1 stop over, 1 stop under, one normal.