Your Next Test

I've found a few minutes to play with a Russian MTO 1000mm f10 lens. It was a super bargain buy from a shop that's closing down and it's a lens I've wanted since they were all the rage in the late 'sixties. I bought it to use on my Nikon F but that was loaded with 200 ISO film and the Eos 650 was loaded with 800 so that, I admit with shame, is what I used.<div>009LjF-19445884.jpg.fab88b438f2e2390426c883bd1f8e9b6.jpg</div>

There a lot of old textile plants close to where you'll be.

Most of them are out of bussiness, nice photo ops there

Donald Qualls , aug 31, 2004; 03:03 p.m.

After I get settled in North Carolina, I plan to clean the shutters and calibrate the rangefinders in my two Kodak Bantam RF cameras and test them with 35 mm film -- hopefully I can get 24 shots in there.

Well, the 5x7" Graflex is working nicely, but I've got to refine my 5x7" tray processing technique a bit to avoid scratching my negs. You would think that having plenty of experience tray processing 4x5", 8x10", and 11x14", it wouldn't make a difference to start doing 5x7", but the tray size is different, so on the first round I misjudged the amount of solution I needed for 4 sheets, and J&C Classic 400 is fragile stuff for tray processing--results were not good.

Not so sure the Tengor is meters! A friend was testing the focal distances one his (he has a few) and feet seemed more accurate. Maybe made for the US market? I'll research it a bit, spoke too soon, apologies. My tests seemed way out of focus for foot measurements, and a tripod was used, but... Matt taped some wax paper over the film carriage and used it like a ground glass to sight through the lens from the open back.

• 2 weeks later...