Renovation Photography

jen_kidd

Hello,

I need some help with a job I am working on.

I got hired to do before, during , and after pictures of a remodel

project. The project will take about 2 years. This is my first

assignment that I am doing for profit. I decided to charge an

hourly rate of 25.00 per hour (since I am still building my

portfolio I thought that would be a fair price) and then charge for

the materials and expenses separately. So I presented the work to

them and they loved it all so much that they decided to order

reprints (some digital and some Black and White). Since I am

charging them an hourly rate, and I am not printing any of these my

self, do I up the price of the reprints, or just charge them what it

cost me?

Sorry this is so long winded... I appreciate all of your help and

suggestions!

Jen

Think of it as a "parts and labor" proposition. as when you have your car repaired. If a carburator needs replacing or rebuilding, you are charged for all parts (at a mark-up) and for the time to do the job. As a life long pro, I always charged a shooting fee that made me a sufficient profit or living even if the client never ordered a single print. In my my view, photography is a professional service, NOT a retail product like a can of soup in a supermarket. I was paid for my talent and skills, and NOT for mere images on paper or film.My old '85 Mazda GLC quit on me, and I had it towed to a very reputable repair shop. After drinking their free coffee for 20 minutes, they found the problem: a burnt out distributor rotor at 3 bucks. Their minimum going in fee was $79.95, but they took pity on me and charged me $55.00 and threw in the rotor.Business is business.

Thank you all for your help with this! I guess I really need to get over my fear that I am "price gouging (I think I spelled that right".

I just feel that since I am starting out, building my portfolio is more important. But you all are right, my time is worth something and I shouldn't feel bad asking them to pay for quality work. : )

Thanks again!

If you're gouging, your clients will tell you. They won't be as forthcoming if you are undercharging them. I don't double my costs as a markup, but I do bill my time at more than twice your rate. So if they call and order a dozen prints, you sit down with your notes, look at your watch, and fill out the order form to get the prints done. Then you look at your watch - if the prints cost you $15 and it takes a half hour to get the order straight and inspect the prints when they come in, there's another $12.50. I'd only mark up the prints 30%, but with your low hourly rate I see no reason not to double it.

Until a client makes a valid case that you're gouging him.

Van