I know of a couple places in Toronto that are cheaper, but I doubt

they take mail orders, and the shipping fees would probably negate any

cost difference anyway.

Are there any Canadian photo.netters who can recommend a mail slide

processing place? Or by any chance anyone local who could recommend a

cheap place here? I had a look through Kodak's lab database for

Kitchener-Waterloo, and most of the places listed have non-functioning

e-mail addresses/web sites, or aren't around anymore. I called as

many places as I could find, but they're all quite expensive.

The best thing would be something like the Kodak or Fuji slide mailers

available in the US. Unfortunately, I don't think those exist in

Canada, and I doubt it's possible to use the US ones here, so that

seems to be a dead end.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

My local camera shop sends out my slide film for processing to a place in Montreal called CAMLAB. (http://www.camasco.com/camlab/en/index-en.html)

Maybe give them a call and see if they deal with anyone in Waterloo. I pay $7.99 for develop only (uncut) rolls of 36. I think it's $9.99 mounted but for me they scan better uncut.

Very consistent results and they seem to take good care of your film. Also, if you request 'uncut' your film comes back in a nice long sleeve that protects well - they wrap it around a film can too.

Chris,

I also live in Waterloo and shoot a lot of chrome. I use Exposed Photo on Victoria St. in Kitchener. The cost is $10.00 + tax for uncut and sleeved.Film dropped off by 1:00 PM is ready for same day pick-up after 5:00 PM. I have been happy with their consistant results.

As far as film goes I always by a minimum of 20 rolls at Vistek.

Velvia works out to $9.49 per roll.

Regards Mark,

a Waterloo Nikon Nut

Unfortunately that is not a bad price. In the GTA I pay $10.00 to $11.00 for 36, I forget if that includes tax or not, and that includes mounting. With no mounts I save $2-$3. In the past 20 years slide processing has remained about the same price while print processing has been cut by 2/3. In 1985 I paid $18.00 for 36 Kodachrome with processing included, regular E6 processing was the same price as today, and 36 prints at Black's was $24.00. Now you get the prints done at your local store for $9.00. Unfortunately the lack of slides being used today means the price will only get higher. Good luck.

Not much of a motivation to use slide film when I can have negative film developed for $1.50/roll at Zehrs (Loblaws) Photolab, with perfect results. I've heard Wal-Mart will send it off for developing, I'll have to call them up and see about it.

I actually asked all the local places I called how much it would be if the slides were unmounted, because I'd prefer them that way for scanning. No price difference anywhere, and it's expensive all across the board. Too bad.

I tried using BJ Photo labs and Heers; with both I have occasionally found drying spots and faint scratches. The price is $12 or $10 unmounted. I'm trying Henry's now. They send it out to Custom Color in Toronto and charge about $10 plus tax for mounted and some $7 or 8 for umounted slides. A friend recommended Henry's, apparently he's never had any quality issues with their processing.

I agree that the price difference between the US and Canada is outrageus; I used to get slides developed by dropping them off at Costco, for all of US $4.19 per roll, mounted. Never a single scratched slide, too.

I'm glad to see there are a few options I hadn't previously considered. I'm going to give Wal-Mart a call and see how much they charge to send out for slide processing. Costco would work for me too, I certainly do enough bloody shopping there!

$7 unmounted at Henry's doesn't seem too bad as Canadian prices go - that's definitely a fallback if the other two ideas don't pan out. Thanks for the help, I'll post again when I've called around some more.

• 3 years later...

Sorry, but I do not have the answer you are looking for.

I have tried slide films, and did not like it.

I'm using regular film and have my negatives turned into slides later on.

However, it is becoming more difficult to find places who are doing this.

Does somebody out there know of a place who still will make slides out of my negatives and-or pictures?

This is highly apriciated.

Guido van der Donk