Who wants to volunteer to help photo.net grow?

philg

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I would love to help. I'm a 4th year computer science student and have development experience in C, C++, Java, on various flavours of UNIX(AIX, Solaris, SunOS, HP-UX) as well as Linux. I am also familiar with Oracle though not with some of it's "finer" features. I have sysadmin experience with the above Unix systems and Linux. I also know HTML and enjoy working with other people. So if there is something I can do to help, please let me know.

Cheers,

Steve Greene

7,8,9 for me please Sir !

I have Oracle 9i installed on Linux redhat 7.2 with a chunk of disk ready to go. A few wrinkles along the way but nothing serious.

Currently I and am investigating ACS and associated technologies.

The latest versions of ACS all seem to be J2EE based rather than TCL - this is fine by me as I'm currently working heavily with the J2EE architecture - but is this the way Photo.net is going to go ?

I can help with anything to do with Oracle and Solaris/Linux. 8i, 9i on any platform / OS etc etc. Been doing Oracle for 11 yrs and teaching it for 9.

I work as a Oracle Parallel Server Architect / DBA as my day job in the silicon Valley...can code for you too...

Would be glad to help out Photo.net !!! Could probably do 3-4 hr a weeks without bitching... ;)

Sbassi

For Melanie, 501©3 is the tax-exempt status of a non-profit organization. Since consulting to organizations in this field is my business, I'm available if the site wants to do that ... though I don't see why it would be necessary. I have no objection to someone owning this. As for other contributions, I could help manage editorial and edit, something with which I'm familiar. A couple of hours a week during this period would be about it, however.

Philip,

I have several year of Sysadmin experience (Linux and Solaris) including

administering system remotely over slow line , have an ADSL connection to

the internet and

currently have plenty of time to spare. So if you need help to manage

the system, I can give you some.

I wish I lived in Boston area, but I'm not... (hint, hint)

I'm sure I also can help in other areas as I know programming, CVS

and I'm quite willing to learn the rest.

Hub

Philip, please sign me up for number 1. Legit ids are very important to me and so is photo.net. Is there a tentative plan as to how this would be accomplished? So you know my background following is my current resume summary.

<p>Over twenty years experience in information system technologies with eight years in distributed/multi-tiered object-oriented design and development and over five years specializing in CORBA, J2EE, RMI, sockets, Jini and messaging middleware. CORBA projects encompass encapsulating database access, location/naming service, firewall issues, fault tolerance, load balancing, transaction service, performance monitoring and object life cycle management. Previous initiatives include large-scale architectural re-design and development for mainframe to client/server system migration, large mainframe transaction processing systems and implementing Electronic Commerce. Database experience as a developer and administrator using LDAP, Oracle, SQL Server, mainframe IMS, DB2 and VSAM. System design efforts employed UML and ER-Modeling with the past five years of development using Java, Sun certified since June 1999. Experienced in Unix, Linux, Windows, Novel and IBM mainframe environments and functions as a team member responsible for himself, mentor for the less experienced or the motivator and leader for a project team with critical goals.

<p>Really want to work on number one and it seems you have enough technical volunteers. But if we need something technical for number one I will be glad to take it on. Who should I contact or will someone contact me?

I'm a computer science student with a fair knowledge and some experience in web programming. If you need any work with HTML+CSS+javascript, cold fusion, java, PHP, DB2, or any other technology that I can learn reasonably easily, I'd love to help and contribute.

I'd be happy to lend my skills in any technical (read above) or non-technical way as long as it's in a remote way (I live in Australia)!

cheers,

I can help out, but I am located down in Australia. I have alot of computer building, fixing, installation, using software, mostly to do with Windows. I know a bit about Webdesign, but not scipting and such. Can help with email questions, answers.

Looking for something to do, during the day here as I don't work due to a back injury and at 48, people don't want to know you.

Anything I can do, just ask.

Peter.

peter@flashram.com.au

ooo - a few Aussies I see round 'ere, good to see :-)

Well, I'd luv to help but I'm not sure how tho.

I mean I'm no professional photographer but I take alright photos I s'pose :p

And I know ASP/SQL and DHTML, CSS etc and am learning PHP/MySQL at the moment.

But if you think u have any use for me ... lemme know! I mean I am pretty busy these days with full time work, school and starting a business but I'de luv to be able to help:

ROCK ON PHOTO.NET!

... ahem, sorry - couldn't help myself :-D

I'd like to help. I found this site by reading the Guide to web publishing. I also love photography and thanks to this site I'm taking better pictures now.

I work building sites now so if there is anything I can do to help let me know. I'm in Pasadena, CA.

I'm not a DBA (and I don't play one on TV ;-), but I do have 16 years of Oracle experience (the first 12 at Oracle Corp, helping to build Oracle's own application development tools, ie, Developer/2000 and its precursors). Lately I've dabbled with UML, Java, J2EE, etcetera.

I have a spare (win2000) machine of my own with Oracle9i and plenty of capacity to test/debug/prototype database functionality.

I am quiet happy to help out with no. 2 (emails etc), and I cant help nag authors and change word into html form, but thats about it for no. 5 if thats any help. This is to start off with.. maybe a bit later I will be able to help out with no. 3, but being a uni student, I dont know if I'd be taking on too much. :)

Experience.. let me see...

* heaps of email experience.. just make sure you let me know if you want me to do no. 2 and I'll make a new email for it...

* Webmastering.. I have done a couple of pages, so I know HTML fairly well and if I cant figure something out I cheat and use Dreamweaver! :) I can read it though, and I can read web form format as well.

* Photography wise - I have a good idea for composition and colour, and I am striving to make my photos live up to that at the moment!

* I like helpin people.

Time - I think between 5-10 hours a week.. maybe more? depends on the time that uni allows between thousands of assignments! :)

Let me know!

-Erinna-

cassa_tales@hotmail.com

(I will not be using this email for email processing if you require me)

<P>Bug hunting.   If there <EM>seems</EM> to be a (

user-experience, not programming ) bug, then figuring exactly what

it is, and possibly finding a way of destroying that

bug/category-of-bug from the user-experience ( html 3.2,

clarification-of-language/meaning, digging to get correct

background-info for some discussion that missed something crucial

for our perception's growing, discovering the underlying patterns of

system-malfunction. . . ) is my thing.</P>

<P>I'd promise 1h / week 'till September ( though when I get working

against a problem, oft continue and continue... )</P>

<P>background?   I'm a Linux-geek, working on my first <A

HREF="http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/">Linux From Scratch</A>

version ( and for me it's gonna be PostgreSQL and <A

HREF="http://www.sql-ledger.org/">SQL-Ledger</A>, not

oracle: can't afford manacle. . . )</P>

<P>P.S.   if you need to track a number of software packages'

home-sites and want that done concisely/automatically, try

<A HREF="http://homemade.hypermart.net/websec/">Web Secretary</A></P>

This is all fine, but what do we do in the meantime? We have an "abuse" address which just responds by an automated message!

I have a lady to whom I wrote politely telling her not to make abusive ratings in an anonymous manner. She responded 1/ by saying that I was harassing her(!) and 2/ by posting my full name with an insulting comment as a caption to the three pictures that she posted:

http://www.photo.net/general-comments/comment-edit-2.tcl

What on earth can I do about something like that?!

I really feel that we should not allow persons that have not posted a minimum of say 10 picturtes themselves, to be allowed to anonymously rate other persons.

John

<i>This is all fine, but what do we do in the meantime? We have an "abuse" address which just responds by an automated message! </i>

<p>

Sorry about that. We�re behind a couple weeks in getting the new system setup. We will start responding again to <a href=mailto:feedback@photo.net>feedback@photo.net</a> and <a href=mailto:abuse@photo.net>abuse@photo.net</a> at the end of May. In the mean time, please forward any problems, abuse or otherwise to me: <a href=mailto:kyle@photo.net>kyle@photo.net</a>

<p>

Thanks for everyones support and patience!

I am very much for the 501c3 non-profit corporation idea.

I hate to be the negative guy, but has anyone considered the liability? How are the risks of opening up Photo.net to an

international group of programmers being managed?

I have been a fan of Photo.net for years.

I think that it would be a great tribute to Phil G. to

see this become an institution that stands on its own

and walks us into the future of photography and imaging.

I can volunteer non-programmer time (1-4) at about 1 hour a

week. I can do directory management, HTML, and non-programming

system work, with an available mentor, as well.

Extensive online user education development experience, both

at a major software developer and in silicon valley 'boutique'

environment. 20+ years photographic experience, including

professional photojournalism, photography editor and writer. 13

years total in publishing industry, including all phases of print,

online and other electronic media development.

Would be delighted to participate in any suitable fashion.

I also volunteer. Things you need/might want/probably don't want to know :-

<ol>

<li>I can probably manage about 3 hours a week, almost every week. Much more some weeks, but some weeks I couldn't guarantee more than 3 (my day job is in IT)

<li>Skills: I...

<ul>

<li>am an expert in UNIX (I'm a member of the Austin Group), particularly Linux but also Solaris these days. This includes administration.

<li>have strong shell scripting skills (Bourne/ksh/bash; no csh at all)

<li>can do CVS stuff (but no experience writing CVS *info scripts),

<li> am an Oracle DBA (<20 Gb databases). Strong PL/SQL (Oracle8).

<li>know Tcl but not AOLServer

<li> can use vi (but prefer Emacs)

<li> know TCP/IP well but not IOS magic

</ul>

<li>I am not the right person to do editorial stuff, I think; I can do HTML and CVS, but nagging authors is not my thing (at least during my free time).

<li>I have no creative design skills whatsoever

<li>I'm always polite but not always patient

<li>My time availability is variable.

<li>I don't care if photo.net changes itself into a 501c3 corporation, or even a small green monkey.

</ol>

<p>

What I'd like to get out of this :-

<ul>

<li> Improve my photography

</ul>

<p>

What I'd say I'd like to get out of this if I thought it could happen:-

<ul>

<li>Get free stuff (even on loan)

<li>Become really good photographer

<li>Life fulfilment

<li>Money

<li>Sex

<li>Trips to interesting places

</ul>

<p>I'm an amateur photographer and a computer scientist with an interest in on-line communities. I'm more interested in the photographic and editorial aspects of this site, but probably more qualified for the technological ones. In response to the specific questions:</p>

<ol>

<li>I'd be happy to work on aspects 2 - 6 of the list, that is: user handholding, user expulsion, bug tracking and reporting, managing editorial, and programming. I have some system administration abilities, but I suspect they may not be entirely aplicable.</li>

<li>I could commit to <= 4 hours per week, maybe more if I end up liking it.</li>

<li>I have basically the skills listed for the tasks I've offered to do: I administer (editorially, not technically) conferences with 500-1000 active members and < 300 posts per day using the <a href="http://caucus.com/">Caucus</a> discussion forum system, which is about the extent of my on-line editorial experience. I'm currently a software engineer (read: code grunt) for <a href="http://www.lockheedmartin.com/atm/">Lockheed Martin Air Traffic Management</a>, and I'll be going back to school for my Ph.D. at the <a href="http://cs.uoregon.edu/">U. of Oregon</a> in the fall. In the past, I've worked as a systems administrator for <a href="http://www.carleton.edu/">my old school</a>, and done database-backed web application development for U.S. West (now <a href="http://www.qwest.com/">Qwest</a>) and others. I've played with the ACS a bit, so I have passing familiarity with TCL, the AolServer API and Oracle, though I'm a master of none. <a href="http://ericanderson.org/work/resumes/current.html">My resume</a> has more complete background information, in case ift's of interest.</li>

<li>It wouldn't make any real difference to me at this point whether photo.net were incorporated as a non-profit. It might, however, strengthen my leftist accademic credentials, which have been tarnished by my current gainfull employment...</li></ol>