ernie_targonski

Any opinions on backpacks vs. standard photo bags. I enjoy nature,

wildlife, the race track (cars / motorcycles) and general

photograhy. That said, I really don't "trek" or do hikes longer than

a day. I have a small backpack now, and need to upgrade due to

addtional equipment. I have found the backpack to work well for allot

of situations, but somethimes find it cumbersome..... the constant

on / off thing. Seems a standard photo bag might provide easier

access. Anybody hiked a day with a standard photo bag?

Thanks in advance

Ernie,

I hike a lot and the only time I hike is when I am taking photos. There is not enough room for overnight essentials (sleeping bag, tent, food/cooking stuff, etc...) in a regular photo specific backpack.

When I hike for a day and I plan to return the my car, I only use a photo backpack and stuff non-photographic items (mostly food) where ever I can. Note that you will take a photo backpack off too when you stop to shoot.

There are many different styles and types of photo bags and you should make sure you find one that handles your gear, durable and is comfortable to hike with. I also use the Kenesis belt system sometimes.

Good luck,

dG

I am using a Lowepro Micro Trekker 200. http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/classic/Micro_Trekker_200.aspx

It is great for having your hands free, but not the easiest if you are going into it frequently - for film, lenses, cameras, etc. There are a couple of small pouches for film on the outside which would be accessible. Also, Lowepro sells other puches that attach to the backpack for expansion, or easier access.

I too use the LowePro MicroTrekker 200. It's a great bag and I know my equipment is safe when they're in it. With regular backpacks, you run the risk of things moving around (banging into each other) and that's not favourable. It is a bit of a hassle having to take the bag on and off but it's a lot easier to travel around with. I only wish that the tripod straps were for a vertical orientation as opposed to the bottom horizontal strapping.<p>

I'm not quite sure what you mean by standard photo bags. I do wish sometimes that I could just unzip something and pull out my camera with ease without having to remove my backpack. Anyway, the MicroTrekkers and MiniTrekkers (bigger model) are great! Sometimes I wish I got the MiniTrekker instead. However, filling up the MicroTrekker can get it pretty heavy already! =p

i also use Lowepro Micro Trekker 200 4 trekking in the himalaiyas & found it quite convenient. 4 other gear & trekking ssentials i normally carry a ruck sack which is on porter's back sometimes. otherwise its also convenient 2 wear micro trekker on front & rucksack on the back but it takestime 2 get used 2 it.

>>the constant on / off thing. Seems a standard photo bag might provide easier access.<<

There are some models of shoulder bags (forgive I can't remember which ones) which allow for optional backpack mount mount harness(like a backpack).

Look into the LOWEPRO, TAMRAC or DOMKE shoulder bags - I believe I saw it there...

By standard photo bag, I meant the shoulder strap type like the Tamerac Pro series 10. I realize the way you work and what you shoot may dictate what type of gear / bags you use. Maybe I will look into a bigger backpack for nature / day hikes. Then maybe a shoulder bag for the track..... that's were I have the most issues with constant on / off.

Thank everybody

I got a backpack which can swing to the side/front and allows access to the camera and

lenses via a flap in the side of the backpack without having to put it down.

In the bottom part I currently carry a Canon EOS 10D, 17-40L, 28-80 and 50/1.8. Instead

of the 28-80 a 70-200L also fits into the bottom compartment. The compartment in the

top of the backpack easily carries a pullover+outdoor jacket+food and you still have some

space in a pouch that runs the backside of the backpack. On the side is another open

pocket and fastener to carry a small tripod.

To swing it to the front, you disconnect the right shoulder strap with an additional

fastener. It is plain black, very unobtrusive and does not shout "photogear" to other

people.

It has a detachable hipstrap and breaststrap and fits well enough to allow 200km/h on

my motorcycle on the Autobahn :-) Oh and it has a detachable rain hood. I took it for

hiking into the Alps and to Teneriffa and now use it a s a replacement for my standard

daypack. So I have my camera always with me. I need less than 5 seconds to get the

camera out of it.

Have a look at

www.holst-direct.com

and follow the "Zum Rundgang" link and then

the "weiter" links. By the way, I am not linked to Holst in any way. It is just the most

convenient photo bag I have owned so far.

Best regards,

Thomas.

I think your conclusion is correct- you need different types of bags for different conditions. I find that over the years I have accumulated a number of bags: Lowepro Micro Trekker, Domke F-3x, Domke F-5xb... and I use all of them. I find that a shoulder bag like the F-3x is the most versatile/comfortable except for hiking.

Ernie,</p>I own several Lowepro bags--backpack (Micro Trekker 200), shoulder and waist packs. The shoulder and waist packs are great for storing equipment in my house, but when I go out with my camera gear, the Micro Trekker always seems to get the call. (If I'm only taking one camera and one lens, then I'll go with one of the Lowepro toploader bags.) --Russ

I also think that differenty bags do different jobs, and all can be used to it's own right. As the chinese say, "Horses for courses".

For a good backpack that will store an SLR with 3-4 lenses, + other stuff you might have to carry around, I can only reccomend the Lowepro Rover AW II. It is a dual bag, with a photography compartment at the bottom and a empty/misc stuff compartment at the top. It is the most confortable bag in that price range, every bag smaller than, and including the minitrekker (and other similar models, computrekker, rolling, classic, etc) are too short and have an unusable waist strap. (Well, it is usable, but not confortable at all).

If you need more storage than the Rover, look at the Nature Trekker. Not much more expensive, it's got a great harness, and is very confortable too.

As for shoulder bags, I wouldn't reccomend them for trekking, especially with a tripod. I use a shoulder bag for street/documentary style of shooting, carrying only an old and light body and 2-3 prime lenses, filters, etc. and I find that even that quantity of equipment can become a bit on the heavy side after a full day, so I can't imagine bringing a semi-pro body with L lenses in a shoulder bag, it's simply suicide. It *will* eliminate the need to remove the pack to have acess, but will create the need for a good massage after each hiking day!

I just picked up a "sling backpack" or whatever you call it - a Tamrac Velocity 9 bag.

It's like those "trendy" backpacks with one strap. So in essence, you carry it like a backpack (it's well padded), BUT you can swing it around the to the front like a shoulder bag. This way you can get stuff in and out of it without having to take it off.

I just spend half a day carrying a 300D with battery grip walking around at the Zoo, 50mm 1.8, 17-85, a 70-200 4L, Sigma EF500 flash, and about 3 filters to see how comfortable it would be carrying for a few hours.

I found it comfortable enough...not as comfortable as my standard two strap photo bag, but a good compromise between a shoulder bag and a backpack, as it's far easier to access my stuff.

Here's a link to that bag http://www.tamrac.com/5749.htm

Definitely a backpack for hiking. Not only does it distribute the weight better but you don't have that weight swinging around. On even a moderate hike having your pack secured in one place can make a big difference. The last thing you want is it swinging into a rock or catching on a branch as you scramble down a steep trail.

Personally I have a Crumpler budgie smuggler for everyday use (RebelD, 17-40 and 85) a LowePro PhotoRunner for long hikes when I don't want to carry much equipment (RebelD, 24, 85) and a LowePro Minitrekker for when I want to bring everything.

Once the minitrekker is full and I've added food, water and a tripod it can all get pretty damn heavy though. Particularly notable when I'm teaching a class to a bunch of people with digital P&S cameras and I feel like a pack mule. :)

Hi all,

I use the removable insert from a LowePro Reporter 300 in a day pack.

You just have to find one with a big enough base panel to accommodate the insert and then you have the best of both worlds, a shoulder bag where you can grab the insert with everything in it and just pop it into a day pack.

Hiking all day with one or two lenses and one camera on a shoulder bag would be OK, but I like to carry more. Thats why I use the day pack too.

Also have a complete LowePro belt and case system, but you can look a bit dorky in that stuff :)

regards,

I use the Lowepro Dryzone 200 bag. It's a big honker, and kind of awkward to get at the

things stowed inside, but it is waterproof and will even float. Here in Oregon, where it

rains about 2/3rds of the year, I wouldn't really think of anything else. If you go into the

woods, ford streams, canoe / kayak, or hike in rain it's a great investment. I have dropped

it (oops!) loaded (~25 lbs) several times from less than four feet and haven't had any

damaged gear yet!

I have recently bought a Lowepro Orion AW and find the combination of back pack and belt bag perfect for my photography.I mainly take sports pictures, anything from motorsport to surfing.The main advantage is i can disconect the top half from the lower section without taking it of my back.This allows me to swivel the lower half round to my front and get out the equipment i need and then push it back round to the backpack.

It also converts to a shoulder back as a shoulder strap is included.An excellent pruduct that i would reccomend to anybody.