Apollo moon landing

Hey everyone,

Since it's the 35th anniversary of the first moon landing, I thought I'd share this cool link:

http://www.panoramas.dk/fullscreen3/f29.html#Anchor-HHHH-49575

Warning: you need Quicktime to view this page. If you don't have it, here's the website's

main page, which has links to download quicktime:

http://www.panoramas.dk/

I guess they used a "modified" Hasselblad on the moon. Does anyone know what

modifications were necessary to make the thing work? I imagine it has something to do

with the air pressure, or lack thereof, and its effects on film. Did they use normal film, or

was there some special film they were working with? I ask because I'm thinking about the

moon for my next vacation and I want a sharp but fast film to do some street shooting.

Thanks for any responses.

-Erik

The major modifications: All lubricants were removed; the mirror mechanism and

viewfinder were removed (made irrelevant by the helmet, also camera weight was lowered

and power demands were lowered) ; a larger shutter release was installed; a special grid

was installed in the magzine (you can see this on all of the film images); electrical

connections were improved and "spark proofed" for working in the oxygen rich enviroment

ofthe Apollo; NASA and Kodak worked to develop spelized types of film bases and

emulsions;and I believe the lenses were not exactly off the shelf -- among other things

the focus ring and aperture and shutter speed controls were modified for easier handling

with the gloves of the space suit. The formula for the glass in the lenses may have been

modified as well to NASA specs. The cameras. magazines and lenses had special paint

jobs.

There are more Apollo Hassy photos <a href="http://www.apolloarchive.com/apollo_gallery.html">here</a>. There are some newly released/scanned ones in conjunction with the anniversary as stated in the copied text below:<br><br>

<em>Page 2 of the Apollo 11 section now includes that mission's film magazine "S" in its entirety, representing all photographs taken during the historic first moonwalk on July 20, 1969. Images identified with the prefix AS11-40 are now seen for the first time in their clearest and most accurate presentation to date, and are a result of recent work by Johnson Space Center to digitally scan original Apollo film. The process involves removing each original film roll from a double-freezer, allowing it to thaw, then digitally scanning each frame using an Oxberry adapted HR-500 long roll film scanner. The Apollo magazine "S" raw digital scans were supplied on DVD-R to the Apollo Lunar Surface Journal and Project Apollo Archive, for which Kipp Teague processed the images for web presentation. It is with pleasure that Eric Jones and Kipp present to you the EVA photographs of Apollo 11 as never seen before, and coinciding with the 35th anniversary of man's first voyage to the surface of the Moon.</em>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...