So much for the carryon x-ray advisory

A pack of NPH went through the carryon xray once at the airport in

Houston (Hobby) this weekend. When they got developed in vegas, a

band appeared on the first exposure of every roll. Knowing this, when

I went home I protested putting a new batch of Kodak UC that I bought

in Vegas in the machine since I had ziplocked it for it handcheck.

Asshole TSA in Vegas refused saying it was under 800 and threw it

through the machine. Same bands showed up again.

I'm guessing the x-rays are getting stronger.

I'm just going to buy film wherever I am and develop them there.

Well, a machine using a low enough dose not to fog a ISO 400 35mm film probably could fog a 120/220 roll, or an APS plastic cartridge. The metal shell attenuates the X-rays.

The silver in the film would also attenuate the X-rays, so the exposure would be less on the inside of the roll.

Perhaps the machine is mal-adjusted, and the "gentleman" from the TSA will have "interesting" children.

Hmmmnn... three of my rolls have that very grainy look near the end of them (one roll had that problem throughout the roll) except it's not a band. I'm not sure if it's fog. The colours were very washed out and very grainy so I applied some heavy digital roc and gem to try to recover. I just figured it was bad processing or bad film. Do you guys know what it could be?<div>00Alfi-21357084.jpg.57d12a57a94a4b8c150a95fb25e69166.jpg</div>

If the X-ray is strong enough, it would not just leave a band only. I too caution the issue. It might be a problem with the D&P ( on the washed out color and grain ) or it could also be contributed to the Camera ( light leak )

How about getting a real cheap roll of film, load that into the camera and leave it there under strong light for a while, shoot a couple of frame like that with the lens at f.22 and lens cap on ( should have a totally dark frame, shot the other frame normally, and had it developed somewhere else. See if you got the same result.

This looks like light damage, probably leakage through the slot in the cartridge. This is common if you change the film in direct sunlight, or the exposed cartridges are subjected to sunlight or strong artificial light. The leader helps seal the slot of unexposed cartridges.

Film will not do much to attenuate X-rays, so any fogging from that source will occur throughout the roll. I've never had a problem with NPH400 in the US or Europe, 135 and 120, with multiple passes.

The technician could be feeding it into the processor incorrectly. For every properly trained and consciencious technician, there seem to be 5 that should be handing out french fries instead.

Scanning an intentionally blank frame magnifies small differences in density, making mountains out of molehills. Of course, the example of fogging in an actual image is a real problem.

Negative film gets grainy if seriously under or over exposed. How do the raw negatives look compared to negatives that scan OK? Are there any signs of fogging between frames? Were they processed commercially, or at home?

Vinh, you say you used two different labs in different cities. You're talking about two different types of film bought in different cities. So it is difficult to make the case that the lab screwed up, or that you just got a defective batch of film.

The TSA and x-ray concern seems to be a red herring -- that doesn't appear to be the expected damage pattern for x-rays.

What are we left with that could cause the SAME problem on two different types of film, bought in different cities, processed in different cities?

Two things: the camera, and the photographer. Check both of those out. The "load the camera and take some shots with the lens cap on" test is a good one for finding whether light leaks are at fault. And try not to load film when standing out in the fierce desert sun of

places like Las Vegas.

I hope you find the problem. It certainly is a vexing one.

Be well,

I think your initial reaction to buy film where you are and have it developed there is the right one. In my experience, local labs ususlly do a decent enough job on the negatives but not always as good a job making the prints. We have all heard the stories of a technician at a place like COSTCO dragging negatives on the floor and that can be distressing. If the negatives are given some care then they can be re-printed later. Another choice is to take mailers with you (if you are in the U.S.) from a good lab like A&I and just send them to the lab and have the developed film mailed to your home. If the mailing part makes you nervous you can send a batch, with mailers, by FEDEX. Just make sure to let FEDEX know that film is on the box and that it should not be X-rayed. I think that the problems with airport X-ray machines, both real and imagined, are pushing more people to use digital cameras when traveling.