What's In Your Camera Bag?

rayn

Yes this is a blatant gear thread but I make no apologies.

So what's in your camera bag? No, not on the shelf at home but the bag you actually take

outside on a regular basis. I ask this in the Nikon forum because that's what I'm shooting

with right now.

List the little things too if they're worth mentioning.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tamrac Pro 12 bag with Nikon D100, Tokina 28-70 f/2.8, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Nikkor 50 f/1.8, Nikkor 18-35mm, Sigma 90mm f/2.8 macro, Tamron 24-135, Sigma 1.4x, SB-800, 77mm filters, sync cords, light meter, extras CF cards & battery, USB reader & cables, manuals, Bogen mini-tripod, AA batteries, Maglight, leatherman, gaffer tape, Altoids, pen, paper, kitchen sink.

Scratch the last item, no, wait...

My mini-kit is; F3hp with 28/2.8 Ai-s, 55/3.5 Micro and a 105/2.5 Ai-s. A Rolleiflex TLR, Seconic L508 plus extra batteries, some filters (pol, red and yellow) cable release, time clock for long exposures (i usually shoot with 25iso film) a maglite and one of my two gitzo tripods with ball heads. All packed in either a backpack, domke F2 or my cam-fis photo-vest. Sometimes i also slip in my M6 and 35/2, loaded with Tri-X.

Lastest time, FM-2N and one lens, 45/2.8 P. The original FM-2 camera case and two filters, L1BC and A2. Two rolls of Velvia 100F. I use more often a F3.

All this into a small mountain backpack. At this time, I`m shooting landscapes and some countryside details. When needed, I take another lens, usually I don`t take more than two lenses (I have used this month also a 300/4.5, 28/2.8 and a 50/1.4). When needed, a Gitzo 126 tripod, cable and always pencil&notebook, lenshoods. Usually I know what I want to shot.

Next week I will shot some portraits at the seashore. I will take F4, 28-105, 180/2.8, flash, meter, Velvias, and A2 filter, all into a Domke F2 bag. If my luggage is not so huge, I will take also a 85/1.4 and probably a Mamiya 6.

bag - Domke "Little Smaller" canvas bag

body - Nikon FM3a

lenses - 28/2.8 AIS, 45/2.8 AI-P (whatever it's called), 105/2.5 AIS (sometimes the 135/2.8 AIS instead); filters (all 52mm) - medium yellow filter, red filter, crappy polarizing filter (need to upgrade here)

sometimes flash - SB-800 and diffuser attachment; meter - small Sekonic Twinmate L-208 incident meter

misc - pocket knife, tiny flash light, micro fibre cloth, Sharpie marker, cable release, extra rear cap, extra 52mm front cap; extra batteries; folded small plastic trash bag in case of down pour

film - typically Fuji Neopan 400, a roll of TMAX 3200 "just in case", NPH, recently FP4+ and Reala, and occasionally cheap Superia 400 (I always seem to regret this)

other camera system - I often have a Bessa R rangefinder and a lens or two, always the CV 4/21 and maybe the CV 1.5/50 or 2.5/35 for two-camera shooting (the CV 1.5/50 Nokton simply rocks). The CV body/lenses are small enough they fit in the same bag alongside the Nikon kit with no problems if I don't pack the SB-800 flash. Or if I'm shooting B&W with the Nikon, sometimes I'll slip in my Rollie AFM35 P&S loaded with color film.

I have bigger and smaller bags (LowePro stuff), but for me, this Domke bag is perfect. It's pretty small, and there's plenty room left over for more. With the simple 3-lens Nikon kit, it's a pretty light package as well. It's always "at the ready," and I carry it pretty much wherever I go.

No fast Nikon lenses in the standard bag kit, but so far I'm pleased the the 45's performance vs. the 50mm faster alternatives. I may spring someday for the 85/1.4 to replace the 105/2.5 in the bag. Who knows.

Scott

Well, in the one sitting next to me:

Small format: FM3a, noname 28mm, 50mm f/1.4 AF, 135mm f/2.8 AI, extension tubes

Medium format: Bronica S2A, spare back, Nikkor 50mm f/3.5, 75mm f/2.8, 135mm f/3.5, Fuji GA645

Misc.: light meter for Bronica, 52mm filters, 67mm filters, 82mm filters (!), mini tripod, 75mm hood, cable release

Film: In 120: Neopan 400, ACROS, FP4+, Reala. In 35mm: Neopan 400, FP4+, Neopan 1600.

You can tell I've been on a MF kick for the last while. I could probably stand to reshuffle that; I don't really need the GA645, and that would make my Nikon easier to get at.

Contents of smaller bag depends on what I'm planning on doing, but is frequently either FM3a + primes or Bronica gear.

Well usually...,when I use my Nikon -

FM3a, 55f2.8 micro, extension tube, FP4, HP5, 160VS, cable release, 2 x plastic carrier bags, spare QR head for tripod, white reflector, silver reflector, 150 x 200mm piece of glass, vaseline, 25mm paint brush, white handkerchief, Pentax Digital Spotmeter, compass, spare batteries, yellow, orange, red and green, ND and polarising filters, mobile phone, (and a walkie talkie radio if I'm out with my mate!)

Cheers, Julian

ps - I think this is an interesting thread, not to see the gear, but what other bits and pieces others take with them.

Man, you guys carry a lot more stuff than I do...

Nice to see so many manual Nikons. I expected more digital (I'm a D70 man myself, but

used to shoot lots of medium format. Kind of regret selling that system).

you guys must be big and with lots of spare muscles and energy.

i carry D70 with 2 primes, cir/pol filter. bag? what's that? one lens in the pocket and just stroll...

maybe a gitzo weekender legs when i get that :-)

i won't be taking the 1228 unless i need it.

I have a bag and it accomodates everything I own (which isn't much looking at some of you guys...)

I usually just go out with an FM2 and one lens hanging off it, sometimes a second one in my pocket if I take the primes. Film in the other pocket (Cargo trousers are indispensable).

Good thread! In my pocket: Centon Dc5 didigam. Ipaq 2215, money and keys in the other. In my bag: Canon EOS 300D (or EOS 10 if the mood takes me) usually with the Tamron 28-300 XR lens attached. 50mm f/1.8 and the 17-55mm in there too along with flashgun, pocket knife, a handful of filters, spare CF and SD cards, an old Nikon 885, spare batteries and a table top tripod. In the car: The Olympus OM-10 bounces around in the trunk with a pouch containing ten rolls of film. Two monopods and sometimes the tripod too.

Equipment:

FM3a with MD-12. 50mm 1.2 AIS, 24mm f2 AIS (maybe AI), 35mm F2 AI, Tokina AT-X Pro 2.8 80-200 Zoom, SB-28 and a little tripod (can't remember what).

Other stuff: Spare batteries for camera and flash and drive, film Velvia 50 and Ilford FP-4, cable release, instructions manuals, spare body cap and lens back cap, Pentax lens cloth, some Polaroid film for my 6 year old sons i-Zone fun camera, and a plastic bag.

This seems a lot but fits nicely into a Canon Custom gadget bag 100 which is easily manageable.

I also like making pictures as well as carrying this kit around!

Joe

Either of the combos:

*) F80, 18-35/3.5-4.5 D, 80-400 VR.

*) N90s or FM2n, 24/2.8 D, 35/2 D, 100/2.8 Series E or 105/2.8 D Micro. Sometimes 180/2.8 AIS, 300/4 AF, TC-300.

*) N90s, 28-70/3.5-4.5 AF.

Also: lens tissue, spare battery, Swiss knife, cheat sheet for F80, towel, tissues, plastic bags. Optionally, mostly a tripod, cable release, SB-80DX & SC-17, Minolta spotmeter, Fuji GSWIII med format, Moose warm polariser, 2 stop Singh Ray ND grad and Cokin rings, 4T diopter.

Small every day bag is a Samsonite messenger bag with Tenba PI13 photo insert. It contains a F80 with a 50/1.8 attached, an additional 24/2.8 and either a 105/2.8 Micro or a 70-300G, all are AF-D lenses. Additionally a SB800, a Hama level and a small table top (Bogen 3007). Optionally a compact bino or a Rollei 35AFM. Small accessories are a cable release, CP filter and skylight filters for the primes, lens tissue+paper and a blower. Some rolls of Velvia and Superia, maybe B&W film. Spare batteries. Pocket card for customs functions of F80.

When taking more equipment or hiking I take a Lowepro Rover AW Plus with the aforementioned equipment and maybe a F3 with an AFD 180/2.8 and a Kenko pro 2x converter. My tripod is a Bogen Digi 724B, quite high and lightweight.

Pocket knife, sun glasses, map/guide of the area and something to read and eat&drink. Depending on weather conditions rain/sun protection.

Klaus

Billingham 335 with:

FM2N,

Nikkor 28-50mm f/3.5 AIS,

Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 AI,

Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 AI,

SB-15 Speedlight,

Minolta Autometer IIIF with spot and reflective attachments,

72mm Hoya Circular Polarizer,

72mm Hoya 80A,

72mm Hoya Skylight 1B,

52mm Nikon L1B,

3 x Ilford Delta 400,

A few empty film canisters,

Duracell 1/3N battery,

Anything else I might need, like my wallet, tobacco tin, etc. :)

John.

Depends on the forum. On this forum:

F2AS or F3hp, 28/2.8, 50/1.4, 105/2.5, all AI or AI-S.

On the Leica forum:

M7, 40/2, 50/2, or

M4, same lenses, plus V/C meter.

On the Digital Forum:

D1X, 24/2.8 AF-D, 28-105 AF-D or...

Olympus 8080.

On the medium format forum:

Rollei TLR 2.8F.

Yellow and orange filters Hoods. Lens pen.

Loads of film.

I am just an average amateur photographer, but a very good gear freak with associated

NAS and all ;)

<ul>

<li>FM3A body</li>

<li>D70 body</li>

<li>Tamron 90/2.8 AF Macro</li>

<li>Micro Nikkor 60/2.8 AFD</li>

<li>Micro Nikkor 200/2.8 AFD</li>

<li>SB-50 DX speedlight</li>

<li>Tamron SP AF 1.4x multiplier</li>

<li>Nikon conversion A2 filters</li>

<li>PN-11 extension</li>

<li>Cable release</li>

<li>Cleaning kit/microfiber</li>

<li>White umbrella</li>

<li>Provia 100F</li>

<li>Sandisk CF cards</li>

<li>Reflector. two-sided mirror</li>

</ul>

Bag's packed ready for trip to Aachen Friday morning and weekend in Brussels.

Canvas & leather WWII army-surplus shoulder bag containing; Nikon F2 (plain prism), 28mm PC-Nikkor, 50/1.2, 85/1.8 (wrapped up in a piece of chamois leather), hoods, spare lens cap, binoculars, compass, A5 spiralbound notebook & several pens, 20 Camel Lights & Zippo, maps and floor-plans of key buildings, mobile phone, copy of Bishop Einhard's "Life of Charlemagne", Eurostar ticket, passport, iPod, dust, blue stain from where pen leaked last week, 8 rolls of Provia, Sekonic L408 lightmeter + spare battery

Lowenpro bag (don't remember the model #, just that it's one with the velcro dividers inside and that it's weatherproof) with...

<P>- Nikon D70 - Nikkor 18-70mm F3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (The kit D70 lens)<BR>

- Nikkor 50mm F1.8D <BR>- Tamron AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2 <BR>

- 2 512MB Compact Flash Cards (Lexar x16 I think) <BR>

- 3 spare EL2 batteries and the converter for them for the D70 <BR>

- Lens cleaning fluid and tissue <BR>

- Static free blower brush thingie <BR>

- 20GB IOMagic Photo Library Storage Unit <BR>

- Bogen Quick Release Plate <BR>

- Nikon IR remote <BR>

- Circ Polarizer w/ stepup rings for all lenses <BR>

- Clear plastic bag (big enough for camera/lens) <BR>

- Anything else I think may be useful

<P>And a partridge in a pear tree.

<P>The fact is, though, that I change things out on a very regular basis depending on what I think I'm going to need at any given time. This is pretty much my "walking around" kit though. If I want to go very light, I have a small belt-bag that will carry the D70 with the kit lens attached, wipes, one polarizer and maybe the 50mm lens if I feel so inclined, or a lensbaby lens. If I think I'll need it, I also have a Lowenpro "sling" bag for my tripod or monopod - just walking around though most times, I don't bother.