Seeking recommendation for a hip pack

brambor

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For the love of....this is why I never post. I suck at this. Try www.mountainsmith.com. Go

to products, and look under lumbar classic series. It's the Tour model. Good luck with your

trip, and get some good rain gear. The last time I as in the Wind River Range it rained 7

out of 12 days.

A few comments on some of the other suggestions.

Before I settled on the Ortieb chest harness setup (which does not conflict with any of my backpack straps), I tried the Lowepro Photo Runner in conjunction with a small pack (essentially daypack size). The bottom of the pack rested on the top of the Photo Runner, and I was able to keep the straps from conflicting, as I recall, by fastening the waist pack first. It was not easy to access equipment carried in this way without removing the backpack, and I don't think the bag would have worked with a longer pack. By the way, when using the Photo Runner with its shoulder strap, I always set the bag down to access my gear. The placement of the strap attachments is so near the midline of the bag that it seems to want to pivot. This could potentially dump a load of gear.

The Domke F5XB is my usual small shoulder bag, and it's great as such. But the facilty for using it as a waist pack is just a long belt loop running the length of the body side of the bag. I don't think this setup would provide the contour and support you would want for two weeks of serious backpacking. Also, although the Domke is rather water-resistant, once wet the cotton canvas will be harder to dry in the field than a synthetic fabric.

Like Del, I carry a small camera in a pouch in front for quick snaps along the trail. In my case it is a T3 or small digcam in a pouch attached to the sternum strap. Works great. I carry a ziploc freezer bag in the pouch and before any serious stream crossing I seal the camera inside the ziploc and slip it back in the pouch.

I used the Lowe Pro Orion Mini, already mentioned, for a three week back pack in Mustang in Nepal. I managed to squeeze in a Leica M6 plus 35 lux, a Pentax LX plus 50/1.4, and a 90mm Elmarit M, plus film and extras - quite a tight fit, but useable. As said, it's tough and well, but not over, padded, quick zip entry too, which opens up to give full access.

I wore it round my waist, the rucksack hipbelt goes over the hips, so I found that there was a hollow in the small of my back which accommodeted the strap easily. So I had 3 weeks of very comfortable hiking in quite challenging conditions.

I'm going to Nepal again next month, and I have sewn o-rings to the bag to give extra versatility - this time I can also clip it at my chest to the o-rings on my shoulder straps.

Without a rucksack, the bag is small, comfortable and, after a while, almost unnoticeable.

<I>Nothing like a long bag thread; ...</I><P>

That's because bags are an illusion for many - they're about the promise of doing

something interesting with your gear. Far different than reality. Kind of like Banana

Republic's marketing focus 20 years ago.<P>

BTW, who make the <I>best</I> oven cleaner?

www.citysnaps.net

Brad -- Largely correct, and this also brings out a few real hikers/campers/adventurers (count me out) who have of necessity spent time figuring out how to tote their stuff.

Does anybody else remember the J. Peterman catalogues of yesteryear? Romance, adventure, ruggedness -- it was all there. All you needed to do was buy one of their [shirts, jackets, bags, shoes, fill in the blank] and you'd be transported and transformed miraculously. Products were depicted in color sketches, not photos. Not sure I ever bought anything, but those catalogues were something.

Don't click on the J. Peterman link, you can't back out of it and have to close the window.

As for bags, it's about trial and error, since most don't give it a test run in the shop prior to buying, and the varying pieces of kit that we choose for a particular project. Obviously, I haven't tried every bag ever made, but I have found success with the size, weight and versatility (used for my Hassy SWC/M and an M + Lens as well...) of the Eagle Creek bag, with no need to try other solutions. I can carry two, if necessary, but, usually, the GF carrys one for special excursions, ;*). How many bags do I need, regardless if they will work for my applications? Some mentioned above seem quite similar in size and weight, so cost and access are the main issues.

What hands-on shop will carry all the bags mentioned in this thread to try? So, I guess you buy one mail order and only risk shipment costs if you don't like it.

BTW, I have the black version linked by Ben. I also have a later green bag; similar configuration, but the material used seems to have been upgraded: The older one seems more flimsy, physically more flexible (not as "solid") than the newer one. Maybe because of less use, but the material feels thicker in the newer one. Both were hard to find in the shops. I've never seen them in the Wolf Photo type shops, but got both of mine in luggage/travel shops.

Flimsy, but not in a bad way. With two bodies + lenses in the bag, the bag will curve/pivot a bit around my waist making for a secure and comfortable carry. The black bag made the trip to Spain last November. The green one went to storage containing the gear I didn't want to get stolen. The boy I hired to feed my fish didn't lock the door, at least the last day before I arrived back; nothing gone. The green one is for the Hassy SWC/M + ...

Without a doubt, the LowePro Photo Runner. I have used one for this purpose for a number of years now and it is perfect. The issue is not only one of space, it is how well the bag is designed for hiking. It has a hip strap with "bat wings" that allows you to snug the thing right up so that there is no play left. It is designed for carrying camera gear snug to the body while you are _running_.