Good, used equipment merchants online?

robert_davis7

Amazon don't sell used gear. Individuals and companies may sell used gear through the Amazon marketplace, but there are a huge number of obvious scams there, especially for popular stuff like the EOS 20D (and prices 1/2 to 1/3 of what's reasonable to expect from legitimate sales), so be very careful buying used via Amazon. Amazon themselves are great for new stuff though.

I've heard good things about cameras.com (E.P. Levine)...they had some great prices about a year ago on Canon FD gear so I researched them a bit more carefully and don't recall any negative info on them at any of the rating sites or the BBB.

In addition to the KEH (my favorite), B&H and Adorama websites, it's worthwhile to check out what they put on eBay. KEH uses username "kehoutlet", Adorama is "adorwin" (any maybe also "adorwin2"), BH is "bh-photo" and EP Levine is "cameras.com"

You can buy camera and gear right here at Photo.net Unified Auctions and Classifieds.

<br>

<p>

You also can buy used equipments safely at Amazon as long as you don't deal with the sellers outside Amazon. If buying from Amazon, you have a certain time period satisfaction guarantee. The seller must have an account with Amazon and can only collect the money if no complaint was filed. You will find scams everywhere, and Amazon is not an exception. However, they are easy to identify. After you send them an email, they will suggest you to buy from them directly. The payment method will be either money orders, bank wire, or through Western Union. More importantly, the price is ridiculously low.

For what it's worth, I had a VERY bad experience with KEH. Worse than the guy that stole my $1000 on ebay. I know many people like KEH, which is why I tried them, but I would NEVER go near them again, and could never recommend them to my worst enemy. This was very recent, too.

B&H - no problems.

YMMV though.

If you are not an East coaster (just because the shipping might be high), you can check out Kenmore Camera here in WA. They have a large selection of used equipment, though not always the most EOS stuff. I got some great Bronica stuff and a few Canon things there and very reliable. The website is constantly updated too. I have asked them to match B&H on the same items and they always have:

http://www.kcamera.com/

First, in defense of KEH, I've dealt directly with a single sales rep there for many years. I've both bought and sold used equipment with them and a few small new items. As a pro, I generally know what I want and what I'm looking for which really helps when you're buying online and sight unseen. I must say, however, that the equipment rating system KEH uses is quite good. Their bargain grade equipment is usually very nice. Never a problem with them. If there was, I'm certain that between my sales rep and the owners, they would make it right. So, if you had such a bad experience, go about resolving it with the managers there right up to the owner.

As for B&H, you'd be hard-pressed to beat their prices on new equipment and accessories. Used gear, however, over the net, again sight unseen, is extremely iffy with them. Why? Well, first, their sales reps are trying to do volume. They don't want to spend time answering a lot of questions about equipment unlike the reps at KEH. And, the used eq. prices at B&H, even if you're in the store, are high. Most photographers who buy used from B&H would do better to go to the used store and make a deal rather than paying asking price over the net or by phone. Same thing at Adorama, IMHO.

Mark