system as everyone else is here. In the past I would often spend an

hour or more a week rating &/or commenting on new images here, trying

to particpate actively in the community. While thats now impractical

since moving recently & being forced to use a dialup connection (no

more high speed.... wahhhhhh!) I'd still prefer to contribute & avoid

becoming part of the problem. That said, I'm now approaching the

ratings/critique thing differently (at least until I'm back on a

highspeed connection). My solution is:

Whenever I upload a new image, I try to rate a minimum of 10 photos.

When I'm posting a request for critique, I rate at least 20 photos...

with the intention of adding a comment/critique for at least 1 or 2 of

them.

If everyone simply attempted to contribute/participate on at least a

certain basic minimum level, I think that we'd all get more from our

time & postings here. Not that it should be required or anything like

that - but those who are uploading images &/or requesting critiques

should, on their own, make sure they're making an effort to contribute

also.

I used to be a lot better about giving back to photo.net. Got too busy for my own good recently and dropped back from rating and offering critiques. Thanks for the reminder to give more back. I needed it.

I took a slightly different approach to giving back to the site when I was more active. What I've always appreciated most here was thoughtful critiques. Ratings are valuable, and supportive comments are encouraging, but real insight on improvement has always been best.

That means taking real time with critiques. Spending some time on photos from people who just picked up a camera for the first time recently. Sometimes it's nice to be the only one who took the time to comment on a photo when others passed it by. Of course it's impossible not to spend some time complimenting those photogs you admire, and conversing with those photogs with whom you share an interest. That's fun and good. But helping out the new folks has got to be the best way to give back. At least for me.

Thanks for the gentle reminder.

Mac

Agreed, Eden. And as a result of practices such as those you suggest, I can further state that you expand your perception of inspirational photography, and make some fun/nice/helpful acquaintances along the way. I have made a nice circle of honest, critical, and helpful regulars this way - I can count on them to not "fluff" my pics' critique, and I feel that they appreciate same in return. You'll still see some garbage in/garbage out stuff, but on the whole, your idea is a great one for a new years' resolution. Good for you.

Ben I'd love to, but spending $25 on anything besides food & shelter isnt an option. Christ, I'd LOVE to be able to say I had $25 PERIOD at this point....

I was in a near fatal motorcycle accident in 2002 (hit by uninsured 19 yr old) & I've been out of work for 2 1/4 years now. 15 days in the hospital left me $100,000 in debt & in a wheelchair for over a year.

Thankfully, I've finally booked some work for mid-feb & even though its just a few hundred buck gig, I'm not complaining at all. In fact I'm f*cking THRILLED - I'm convinced its a sign that 2005 is going to turnaround finally.

Hopefully 2005 is better for all of you this year as well.......

and watch out for green honda civics - they bite!