New 23" Cinema Display or Sony Artisan

Need a bigger display- I use Colorvision Optical to calibrate my monitors.

Love the form factor of the new Aluminum 23" Cinema Display but am wondering if the

calibration feaures of the Artisan will really make a difference in the color quality of the

jobs that get sent out for repro.

Also wanted to ask if you have to do anything to the Cinema Display (ie adjust the strength

of the backlight display to a certain level) before profiling with Colorvision Optical- and if

so, where are the controls physically located on the Cinema Display.

Thanks!

... Tardis... Now that's getting a bit "philosophistral" ROTFLMAO ;o)

Just FTR Macman, the Sony Artisan is a CRT while the Apple Cinema is an LCD... Doubtfull they are in any way the same screen LOL!

Now to answer the question. IMO it really depends on you and I don't think you can go wrong with either as both are outstanding monitors. With the Artisan you can sell your Colorvision Optical because the Sony has a built-in calibrator. Many claim the CRT has the best color quality and they are probably right, but I use a graphics caliber digital LCD and love it -- with it I get WYSIWYG between screen and prints which is good enough for me ;)

Cheers,

Jack

With the Artisan, whether it makes a difference or not, I get the peace of mind that I am seeing the

most accurate color and black level differentiation as possible.

When I was using the Spyder with a lesser CRT,

I was always wondering whether the

print/screen mismatch could be caused by quality of the profile

generated by Optical (there has been a reported bug that they took a year to fix) and the Spyder (which I hear is not as good as the

eye-one for instance).

The Artisan can also display more pixels than the 23 Cinema and costs less, especially considering it comes with a calibrator that is extremely precise (because dedicated) <a href = "http://www.terragalleria.com/fine-art-prints.html">Terra Galleria fine arts prints</a>.

Just a quote from Apple's tech sheet:

"Apple flat-panel displays support the DVI standard and can therefore be

seamlessly connected to a PC, without the need for an adapter. PC users

can control the brightness of Apple LCDs using touch buttons on the side

of the display."

Find the tech sheet here:

http://images.apple.com/displays/pdf/Displays_TO_06282004.pdf