tight cotton guys? mittens maybe? Has anyone found any interesting

ways of perhaps protecting an unsealed camera? I though of

commissioning my mother to make me a fleece jacket for my camera but

maybe there is something better to make it out of. Heck lets just open

this up to any fun photography stuff in the cold that helps and see

what we get! Thanks Guys.

-Kyle

Hi Kyle,

I live near you and get out there quite a bit in the colder conditions.

The most important thing is clothing... I can't stress this enough.

As I'm sure you know, it's best to layer layer layer!!! I think the coldest I went out in last year was around -20 to -25 (with wind chill). Below -28 wind chill is a little dangerous so I don't bother.

I am of the firm belief that when it comes to clothing, no expense should be spared. I have been fortunate to have had the opportunity to hike extensively throughout Canada (in quite adverse conditions at times) and to cut corners with clothing can be a very serious risk to your well-being (so get yourself a membership card down at the MEC on King St.!!!)

If it's cold (ie. around -10 and lower) I start off with Polartec long underwear. On my torso I usually have (depending on how cold it is) a light-weight Polar-tec mid-layer, long-sleeve shirt; a light-weight Polar-tec sweater; a Grade 3 fleece (I love my big, warm fleece) and then a Gore-tex weather-prrof jacket (I love my Gore-tex jacket). If it's warmer than -10 I will often forego one of the mid-layers. If it's down around -20, I might add another light-weight fleece. On my legs I often just wear jeans over the top of my long-johns, unless the wind chill is an issue (ie. around -25), in which case I also wear my ski pants.

I always wear sturdy hiking boots with a couple of pairs of good winter socks. I have a fleece toque on my head (and if the wind is up I will often wear the hood of my jacket for comfort).

For gloves I just have a good, thick pair of fleece mittens. I have this cool pair that my wife bought me wear the end flips open so I can use my fingers (although at -20 and below, be prepared to grimace for a few seconds when you bare your fingers to operate your camera).

Oh, and I wrap a scarf around my face when wind chill makes air/skin contact uncomfortable.

I tend to dress a little more warmly than I might if I were just out for a walk, as you'll find yourself just standing around a lot. The main thing to consider is your own comfort.

If you start feeling uncomfortable or chilled, just give it up and get inside. I like to access Enviroment Canada's web-site before I go to make sure I don't get surprised by the wind chill factor (http://www.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/canada_e.html)

I usually just take my trusty old standard 35mm SLR. I have never had any cold-related issues with camera or film whatsoever (although, I do wait at least 10mins or so before I start taking photos after getting out of the car).

I have used digital in these kinds of conditions in the past with little concern either, except your battery will run out a lot faster than normal. I have a friend who swears by keeping his spare batteries inside his coat to keep them warm. Other than that, the only other issues you may find are longer start-up times and longer shutter-delay (so a fleece jacket for your camera may not be neccessary). You generally won't have to worry about moisture, as the air is so dry and everything is, well, frozen!

Anyway, now that I've written a novel on the topic...

Hope some of this helps!

In extreme cold I used to do the following:

1) Use a battery cord (I shoot Pentax 67 and 35mm, both of which have these accessories)to keep batteriers alive.

2) Wrapped all tripods

3) Keep film relatively warm so it doesn't break when you load it.

Mec membership is definitely a plus for their line of outdoor apparels.

I have a very tight slightly undersize pair of fleece gloves. I put a layer of large surgical gloves over that (to keep wind out and grip onto the cmaera controls. a pair of large mittens over that.

For footwear get arctic work boot with felt plus thinsulate lining.

Check out emergency outdorr workers and what they wear (hydro line crew)

A place call Tent City on North side of Steeles just West of Dufferine sell military surplus including artic outdoor gear.

Key point to remember is aware of skin exposure.

Some of it may depend on your camera and how difficult it is to operate with mittens. My wife find it's possible to turn the dials on a Nikon F100 with mittens, but I cannot work my F easily even with relatively fine gloves. She uses big fat mittens, and swaps them as needed for thinner gloves (can't change lenses or operate flash well with the mittens). I usually use fleece gloves and try to keep my hands in my pockets most of the time.

When my camera is out of its foam-lined suitcase for longer periods, I usually decant it into a small Tamrac carry case (the kind that holds just camera, one lens and a flash), so I don't worry about the camera itself in the cold.

The biggest factor I've found in winter photography is keeping the rest of you warm, especially when you're standing around in the snow. Big hat, big boots, and someplace to put your hands when you're not using them.

Hi Kyle,

I live in Newmarket so I know what you experience. as stated by our felow Canadians, warm clothing is crucial in order to enjoy your day out. A ski suit + warm hat is what I use, but I take my gloves off when I handle the camera. Check out few of the pictures I took last Sunday in the park (-12 deg C) where I spent approx 3 hours.

Don't forget the little chemical heat packs that last for 6-8 hours. You can buy them for less than a buck at many camping stores. When your hands get cold from handling your camera, these little miracles will warm your hands up in less than a minute.

How much do you want to know?

I've been doing 8 hour stints at -30F (no wind chill) shooting aurora this winter. Here I am

with a self portrait taken Dec 30 2004. It was roughly -20F and the wind was blowing

about 20mph. http://www.pbase.com/santa/image/38066024

I am normally shooting out of my car. Two nights ago I shot from 7:40 PM till 5:30 AM. It

was -35F and calm. I returned to the house twice during the night when the aurora died

down for a while. I layer down to about -20F but when it gets cold I put on my

winter coat. I particularly agree with the idea of wearing all synthetic. I wear no cotton or

wool of any kind. From underwear to long underwear to shirts, it's all good synthetic stuff

- except my lynx hat. I have a couple of different hats. Lynx is -20F but I digress.

The warmest boots you can buy are either Bunny Boots (do a google) which can often

be bought for cheap, or Northern Outfitters. I wear Bunny Boots. They are THE Arctic boot.

I wear thin Patagonia liner gloves inside whichever warm outer gloves I grab. Shop at high

end mountaineering stores for serious cold weather gloves.

Bring a big bunch of Grabber heat packs. Grabber are the best. Orange packs. Add them

in your gloves, boots or on the back of your neck. I keep a stack of 24 hr, toe and hand

packs in the car. I take along an thermos ice chest. I lay a jacket on the bottom of it and

throw in three 24hr Grabber heat packs. To that I add a Nalgene bottle full of warm water,

a coffee themos and a soup thermos. I shoot a Canon MKII and keep three spare batteries

in the warmer, as spares for my 10D. I throw another jacket on top of that gear to keep it

warm. When it's -30F or 40F, it takes some work to keep the batteries and coffee warm.

Disposable heat packs are a huge, huge tip.

Wear NO cotton.

Your camera needs no jacket. The camera can sit out all night at -40F and function just

fine. At least most digital cameras can. Maybe if you have wet snow or something there are

issues I don't know about. Locally the snow is very cold and dry and I put no special

protection on either camera. Film is a whole nother issue. It's the battery you

need to keep warm. If you aren't with a car, put two 24hr heat packs in the pocket closest

inside and put your spare batteries there. Have a system so you know what is what. If I am

away from the car I keep fresh batteries in an inner left pocket. Used batteries get put in a

warm pocket, inner right. Two warm packs in each inner pocket. After all batteries go

from left to right (been used up once) they start going the other

way. Once a battery is warmed it works again for quite a while. Key is to have a warm inner

pocket or an insulated container with heat packs.

Bring paper towels to wipe your face if you have a beard, when you get in your car. :)

bring a giotto air blower. You dont' want to wipe ice crystals on a lens. Blowing air can

clean a lens of snow/ice dust.

Buy some snowmachine bibs if you are going to be stationary. Get climbing gear/

backcountry high tech stuff if you need cold weather hiking. . I wear patagonia long

underwear (med. weight), with heavy

weight synthetic pants over those, then snowmachine bibs over that. On top I typically

have two layers of synthetic underwear, one light, one medium. Bibs go over that, then a

medium weight synthetic shirt goes over that. Out shell over that. Another layer of syn.

can be layered if needed. The shell is a all that's needed to about -25F. Under that the

shell comes off, a layer or two is removed, and I put on an Eddie Bauer Exp. down parka.

Nice big pockets.

Be sure your outer gloves fit loosely, as your boots should too. Reasonably anyway. Tight

boots and tight gloves are cold. Never bring a cold camera straight into a warm room. You

know that drill, eh? You can modify these ideas for any climate. Make the bibs into

insulated pants... Oh...I often use a balaclava with a synthetic thick skull cap too. Have a

variety of clothing that allows you to don what you need for a given temp. No cotton. No

wool.