Wide angle lens for digital

wendyholden

I have been reading the archives and I was excited to see the recent

thread on prime lens (can't wait to try the body cap gluing trick).

I have found that I too, switch from one prime to another during

weddings and although it is a hassle, I like the pictures much

better than when I use a zoom. Maybe I need a few more cameras to

help me juggle...

I am in need of a wide angle lens to use for formals and family

group shots when space is tight. I currently have a 50 1.8 and an

85 1.8, along with a 28-200 zoom and a few other mid range zooms

that I rarely use. I shoot with a D100. My question is, should I

go for a 20mm or 24mm lens? I was leaning toward the 24 but am

worried that the digital factor will make it not quite wide enough.

Suggestions?

D100. That's Nikon right? Then why are people talking about Canon lenses. Just because it is digital doesn't mean it is Canon.

Sorry, I know nothing at all about Nikon lenses as I have a Canon camera and don't like knowing what I can't have without losing a lot of money on the switch. I do have a 1.6 crop Canon camera and would say that 24mm isn't really that wide.

I'd go with either the 14mm f/2.8D or 18mm f/2.8D AF-Nikkors if you want single foca

length lenses. Me/ I'd take the 12-24mm f/4DX Nikkor. In the tests I've run with this lens

on a D70, it out performed the 20mm f/2.8D Nikkor I also own, strictly just at resolution

and contrast. i suspect the performance is very close to that of the 18mm and betterthan

the 14mm. At some poin you have o weigh the benefit of optimal optical qualities

againstthe veersatility and speed of using a high quality zoom.

On a D100, the 24mm will capture the angle of view you would get with a 36mm on a

35mm film SLR.

Oh, that's right the Nikon crop factor is 1.5X, so a 20mm is a 30mm field of view. Sorry.

Interesting that the digital zoom Ellis mentions out performed the Nikon 18/2.8 which is

one of their top dogs. If that is a consistently reliable result, then the zoom would really be

worth looking at.

I tested the 2 Canon digital zooms I got for my D20 ( EFS 10-22/3.5-4.5 & EFS 17-85/4

-5.6 IS ) and found them lagging the L lenses in color rendition and over-all performance.

I bought them anyway for a lighter weight, more versatile kit when traveling (adding a 50/

1.4 for low light stuff because these lenses are sloooow apertures). f/4 is pretty dim in

those little APS sized viewfinders IMO.

I will put my vote in for the 20mm f2.8D Nikon or if you want to go wider I would say look at the Tamron 14mm I own the 20 and the Tamron 14 I like them very much on my D100 and on my D2H.

I tested the Nikon 14mm on my D100 and it had some bad chromatic aberations that the Tamron did not show on my camera.So for me it was an easy choice.

I use the 20mm a lot it works aout to act like a 30mm and has good color and is sharp enough for me and my clients. I have the 24mm also and I use it more on my F3 then on my D100. Its only 36mm on the D100 not all that wide.

Michael

"I am in need of a wide angle lens to use for formals and family group shots when space is tight."

Then you probably don't want a 20mm lens as objects/people near the edge of the frame will have a wide-angle look to them. A 24mm is probably your best bet.

On a D100 or another other Nikon DSLR, even a 20mm lens is not all that wide. If your budget is within $500 or so, that would be your best choice. For $1000 or so, the 12-24mm/f4 DX would give you a lot more flexability in tight quarters, but it is a relatively slow max f4 lens and it is not inexpensive. My favorite event lens for Nikon digital is now the 17-55mm/f2.8 DX, but it is well over $1000.

Shun, do you know what the formula is to determine how a non-digital wide-angle lens will convert to a digital camera? I was disappointed that my wide angle lens that I used for a film camera was much less wide on the digital camera. Thanks for any information you can provide. I have searched this website for this information and just can't find it. Take care!

Wendy - Just multiply the actual focal length of the lens by 1.5x for any Nikon D-SLR to get the equivalent focal length for a 35mm film camera. So, on any Nikon, a 20mm lens becomes a 30mm equivelnt field of view, and a 100mm lens gets the FOV of a 150mm on film. Canon cameras have three sensor sizes, so it's a bit more confusing for us (We have full frame 35mm, 1.3x crop, and 1.6x crop).

If you are looking for something that is quite wide, the Sigma 12-24 4.5-5.6 should be avalible in a Nikon mount, although it is slow and from what I understand the quality is rather inconsistent. That would get you all the way out to an 18-36mm equivalent zoom, which will get you very wide, to slightly wide shots if need be. That Sigma covers a full 35mm too, so it can be used as an ultra-wide zoom on a film camera. It's probably not nearly as good as the Nikon, but it's a lot cheaper, too.

Also, Tamron is coming out with an 11-17mm zoom lens for digital in the near future. Given the short zoom range, I would imagine the price will be pretty reasonable ($500?), if you don't need something now, you might want to wait until that comes out.

If you like a 28mm focal length on film, the 20mm Sigma F1.8 would be close to that on your camera (30mm equivalent), and it's about as wide as you will be able to get a fast prime lens in.

• 3 weeks later...

Wendy - With you looking for a lens ranging between 20mm to 24mm,

Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG ASP HSM

which would give you 18mm - 36mm digital equivelent and flexibilty of a zoom.

I have just purchased lens myself and have been pleased with results.

Here is a link with samples using the sigma 12-24 lens.

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sigma/1224_4556_ex_dg_asp_hsm