Steadying in high winds

keith_van_hulle1

Travelling on 90 in Washington over the Columbia River, we luckily

stopped at a scenic overlook about 5 minutes before sunset. Grabbing

the camera, running down to the edge of the cliff above the river

(about 150 feet below-quite impressive), found the tripod is useless.

Steady winds coming from upriver (about 20 degress to the right of

the setting sun) at about 40mph. Gusts easily 50-60mph or more.

Handholding almost directly into this just wasn't cutting it. The

gusts were impossible.

We want to go back for some planned shooting (it's near the petrified

forest state park too) but I need some ideas, if possible, how to

keep the camera steady under these conditions. And don't say IS, I

had it turned on. But when you get blasted full on with a gust about

50+mph, EVERYTHING moves violently and unpredictably. Anyone ever

shot in really high winds?

Shooting in heavy wind is not fun but I don't understand why "the tripod is useless"? I agree, handholding in those conditions isn't going to cut it. If you were balanced on the cliffs then just adjust the legs so you can steady it somewhere. use it as a monopod if you must. Don't extend the legs if the wind is a problem. and make sure not to handhold any filters. if you were sitting, you probably would be less affected by the wind as well. If the tripod is that hard to deal with, then balance the camera on your knees while sitting.

I live in a very windy place and shoot in the conditions you describe several times a year. Sometimes even worse conditions--it's 50 mph wind AND 20 below zero. I generally do one of two things. The first is to either lie flat on the ground to get my shot. Wind speed right next to the ground is substantially less. Sometimes I can get away with not extending my tripod legs at all (or angling them further out, like the second notch) and shoot while sitting on the ground. The best thing I've found that works is to simply park my big K2500 Chevy 4WD pickup truck in position as a windbreak and shoot very close to it. (But not from inside it, obviously.)

Kent in SD

<p><i>Anyone ever shot in really high winds?</i></p>

<p>What lens were you using and what was your tripod and head? I've shot perpendicular to 70 mph winds with a 4x5 view camera with 240mm of bellows draw on a Gitzo 1325 and an Acratech. I've also shot into about 50 mph with on the same setup with a 450mm lens and regularly work with winds in the 20 to 40 mph range. No major problems as long as I kept the tripod stoutly pitched and used a wind shield (most folks like umbrellas, I use a folding reflector), though anyone who expects tack sharp shots in storm force winds is probably bean bagging on a rock. With a more or less normal lens on a 35mm SLR you shouldn't have much problem pointing up into the eye of the wind given a well built tripod and head and good leg placement.</p>

I once stopped to shoot a lighthouse when the wind was much the same as you describe. After realizing there was no way to work in the wind, I set up the tripod inside the van, moved the van until the side door was facing the lighthouse, opened the door and took the shot.<div>008uxk-18867484.jpg.0b4117b9bd6723c1b24ead3576d024c5.jpg</div>

Keith -

I've shot in the Columbia river gorge, and it can be quite windy. My solution was to not extend any of the tripod legs, and to crank the ballhead as tight as I could get it. Then I would use the self timer and press the tripod down into the ground with both hands firmly while the shot was being taken. This would probably work in any amount of wind with a normal or wide lens, I think you may be in trouble if you're shooting with anything that's a longer telephoto.

Sheldon<div>008uzJ-18867784.jpg.d0a51462cad0cb101fa32c4ffc2f92df.jpg</div>

Keith,<br>

We've stopped at that overlook many times...the winds through the canyon will always be an issue in the afternoon, early mornings are much more tolerable.<br>

If you can only get there late day I would suggest setting up your tripod low propped up on one of the large rocks people are usually climbing all over and hang on for dear life!

Gusts like this will even rock your vehicle. Depending on the location, you may have guardrails, sign posts, etc, which may be useful - use a load strap, there are various types with nylon strapping, ratchets or other griplocks, which can allow you to wrap the tripod or even a monopod with ballhead, etc., to a rigid base of some sort. You might still get some vibration or motion but it can be greatly reduced.

Firstly I would remove any lens hood, these only act like a sail. If you're on a cliff edge try laying flat with your camera/lens on a bean bag and add a second bean bag on top of the camera/lens.