Anyone out there who has actually used this lens? I understand it

will not be that sharp wide open.

How is the contrast? I had a 135mm Canon lens before that produced

very dull looking pictures.

I'm interested in specifically for the effect you get wide open so a

slower lens, while optically superior for taking pictures of test

charts, is not a good substitute.

Thanks.

I've had one for about ten years. It's pretty good wide open--not perfect, but acceptable for the things I do, and has a nice creamy look to it wide open--very similar to the images I've seen with the Canon 50/1.2, which some people love and some hate. I will warn you, hoever, that it's EXTREMELY heavy, really over the edge, so I've not carried it around as much as I would have wanted. I'm redoing my house, so all my negs are buried somewhere, or I'd make a scan for you.

By the way, I had a Canon 85/1.8 that was a fabulous lens--much better wide open than the contemporary Summicron. It had an aluminum mount, and I bought it new. At the time I got it, I could have had the 1.5 for about $30 more (I think the spread was $165 vs $185) but didn't have the cash. At that time the Canon brochures were showing the 1.5 in a similar black/matte chrome aluminum mount, but I've never seen one in real life--every one I've seen has been black/shiny chrome on brass.

Loooong throw from close focus to infinity, heavy, and you really need an M3 or a .85 viewfinder/.72 VF and 1.125 magnifier to focus it accurately close and wide open. Not worth the effort IMHO. You will be much happier with a pre-ASPH Summicron for about the same $$ as a Mint Canon 1.5. Medium contrast, soft wide open.

Cheers

I think not only weight but focussing, and lack of out-of-focus-control with a rangefinder camera is a serious problem, even with the widest RF baselength available in cameras... you have a 75% chance missing the focus point. And if you don't have your hand on the focussing ring and refocus every second, your chance become 99%... I have a 1.4/85 Zeiss Sonnar (for SLR, estimate it has 1/3 less weight than the Canon 1.5/85). You will not find a single person to disagree about the quality of that lens, but I swear its hard a job shooting with it! You will not make it with a RF camera except you make 1000's of pictures with it. If so, than GO for it. If I see a 1.8/85 Exc+++ this would be in doubt - but obviously their owner keep them with good reason...

Maybe the 25% right-focussed pictures will be good. The Canon is kind of a Sonnar-construction. The reasons why one sees them on ebay are quite obvious. If collectors pay the price asked for that heap of glass - their problem. I'm happy with my small 3.5/100 on RF, and when I need speed or small area of focus, I take the Planar with the small black Contax 139 with me - period.

Just my thoughts. You may have other.

Frank

The Elmars ranged from great to excellent! But it's apples and oranges. When Nikon and Canon were making LTM 85/1.5 lenses so was Leitz, the Summarex. It too was a big cumbersome and heavy optic.

When these lenses were introduced news photographers liked them. Kodak's fastest film was Super Double-X at an equivalent of ISO 200, very grainy, and the speed enhancing developers UFG, Acufine and Diafine were still a few years in the future. Newspapers were printed on cheap pulp paper on letterpress with photos reproduced using a 65 DPI screen, hardly the kind of resolution that would show up any unsharpness of the lens in an average 4"x5" photo. They rarely ran photos much larger.