Best 400 ISO Speed Film

As almost always: it depends.

Kodak Tri-X - if you like its beautiful and gritty tonality, and need to be able to push the film

Ilford HP5 Plus - if you like slightly sharper results than Tri-X and don't need to push

Kodak T-Max 400 - if you want the finest grain possible with a conventional black and white film of this speed

Ilford Delta 400 - if you like tonality at the expense of a tiny bit of grain

Foma 400 - if you don't care how grainy the film is but want beautiful, rich tonality

Those are only the five I've used! There are more. Try each and ask yourself which you like better.

There is no such thing. I use 4 or 5 high-speed films depending on the situation:

Tri-X (not too much recently)

Ilford HP5 Plus (a lot recently)

Ilford Delta 400 (a lot recently)

Fuji Neopan 400 (starting to play with this one, so far so good)

Fuji Neopan 1600 (this one is about a stop faster than Tri-X with very similar grain)

Agfapan 400 (not too much recently)

Of course, developers make a big difference in the results you get.

I've been using Kodak 400TCN or it's Ilford equivalent (XP1/XP2) for about 18 years.

This is the C41 film that many complain about. You can shoot ISO 100, 200, 400, and

800 on the same roll of film and get a good print. The reason people hate it is, if

processed in a color lab the prints are harsh, contrasty, and frequently a weird

color(sepia or purple). Make prints on B/W paper and you'll be sold! If you rate it at

100 or 200 (overexposure) it is nearly grainless. I use it for actor headshots rated at

100 and I doubt that anyone could tell it from medium format!

Dear Scott,

Yes, everyone has an opinion -- and none of them is worth much, including mine. There are over 20 ISO 400 films on the market (the Shutterbug article someone referred to was mine) and they wouldn't stay on the market unless people bought them. One may reasonably infer, therefore, that there are few films so awful that someone, somewhere, doesn't love them.

I use HP5, XP2, Tri-X and Maco Cube 400 regularly, and Forte more rarely. I could live with any of them as my only film if I had to. But I don't have to.

Cheers,

Roger

Just a note - Foma 400 is lovely indeed, BUT, as with all Foma films, it is prone to factory defects. These may be minor, but they keep me from printing 35mm negatives; I shoot Foma T200 (in 135) for the DR5 process, and use Foma 400 in 120 for darkroom stuff.

Perhaps I'm being overly picky, but the little scratches, spots, etc. are always around, even if only near the beginning of the roll.. I do love the Foma film - it's basically what I use if I can't figure out what to use.. So I guess this is a qualified recommendation for Foma.

Fuji Neopan 400 is a very high quality film, and I like that one too. No complaints about factory defects there, or on any Fuji film, for that matter.

Roger, I wondered if you were THE Roger Hicks. :) I enjoy your articles and have read a couple of your books and enjoyed them too.

I haven't tried too many films that I didn't like at least a little, so it really is important, Scott, to try a few. Get a taste of what they are like, then concentrate on one or two for awhile. Learn what the films are good at.

I was shocked at the tonality of Foma 400. I bought some on a lark when I ordered some Efke film, and I was really impressed. No problems with quality yet, but I'll keep an eye on the film.

In the last 5 years I have been trying out the following iso 400 35mm films: Tri-X (New) in D76 1:1; T-Max 400 in T-Max Dev & Delta 400 in XTOL 1:1.

I started with T-max-400 very fine grain but to my eyes more "mushy" than fine, very sharp, cropped 11X14 prints are no problem. After about 40 rolls or so I tried 400 Delta in Xtol 1:1. This is a relly nice combination. Excellent tonality,fine sharp looking grain, very sharp overall. Cropped 11X14 prints have more noticable grain but to my eyes have a more pleasant look than T-Max prints. These comments go for the improved version called Delta 400 as well. Frankly the only perceptable difference to me is the blurb "New" on the package.

I have exposed & printed well over 100 rolls of both versions and Delta 400 is presently my standard film. I have also tried New Tri-X (about 20 rolls), it is very nice as well, very good for portraits. I believe, however, that Delta 400 is (for me) the best film overall. This is a very personal & subjective opinion. You really need to try things out for yourself and arrive at your own conclusions.

Dear Jim,

Yup, that's me. Glad you enjoy the articles. I take your point about liking almost all films just a little, but (for example) I don't get on with FP4 in 35mm (despite liking pretty much everything else Ilford makes, and using FP4 in 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10) and I've had precisely two good negs from half a dozen rolls of Acros. It's all alchemy!

Cheers,

Roger

Alchemy, yup, ditto. I didn't care for FP4+ 'til I tried rerating it at EI 64 and souping in ID-11 for 9 minutes. Lovely tonal qualities for portraiture.

A little dappled late winter sunlight couldn't hurt, either. And a 4 year old grandson playing happily under that dappled sunlight, oblivious to the camera.

As Roger said, alchemy.

I don't think "best" is an appropriate term when choosing a film. Equally, no-one else can answer it for you. You haven't mentioned what qualities you prefer (grain/sharpness/contrast etc), film format, whether you want to push-process, your likely subject matter or the lighting conditions in which you would use it.

<p>

I use Ilford HP5 Plus mostly - not because it is 'better' than any other film, but because I am comfortable with it. I have used Fuji Neopan 400 and like that too. XP2 and T400CN are great for portraits, and will produce suprisingly good prints at a local minilab (on b&w paper).

<p>

I'm sure other films are great, but I don't have the desire to experiment with them. I just can't be bothered, life's too short. I've given up worrying about grain at 400 (I'll use a slower film) and I'm sure it's sharp enough in a suitable developer.

<p>

An apt quote from another thread (http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=007BUh):

<p>

<i>"My experience has been that whenever I've had a problem in my system, it's NEVER the film. Think of the WORST film that you know of, and there's somebody shooting it who swears by it, and has excellent work to back it up."</i>

<p>

There sometimes appear to be too many choices in photography - in black & white in particular. I'd pick two or three films based on their supposed qualities and compare the prints. Some films might suit your vision better than others (or even just some subjects) but it is an entirely personal decision.

<p>

Previous similar threads:<br>

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000nbX<br>

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=006Ly1<br>

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=005uQC<br>

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=004cJM<br>

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=005vQb<br>

• 1 month later...