Software for NEF?

richard_laepple

Being rather new to digital with a D70 I have so far only made JPGs.

Now I'd like to test the possibilities with RAW/NEF files. I have PS

6.0, 2-3 smaller tools and Nikon View on my PC. My question is: is it

worth buying the new Nikon software (Capture or PictureProject) to

handle NEF? Ok, I can use Nikon View to create TIFF-files. But maybe

NEF compatible software has more advantages? In other words: NEF or

TIFF, what's better? I don't want to update on PS CS because of the

costs.

I've been trying out the Capture 4.1 (30-day free trial offer, on the PP disk that comes with your D70) and it's very nice to work with. As a Raw editor it's excellent. I also use the PS CS, and it's also very good; I'm used to working with Photoshop and appreciate all the capabilities.

I'm not sure if I'll buy the Nikon software when the trial runs out, every time I use it it reminds me how many days remain. So I have to decide soon.

If it's a matter of cost, go with the Nikon Capture 4.1. It costs about $100. The CS is five-six times more.

If you are at all familiar with your Photoshop, I find that switching to Capture is a bit of a

drag. For this reason, I agree with Ellis that CS is great. If you are unfamiliar with

either, I think Capture is a fine and cost-effective solution. But since you already have PS,

the upgrade doesn't cost much more than Capture and PS is a far superior app, IMO.

You don't really need Capture. PictureProject is free. That being said, I can't stand using PictureProject. A little too limited by my tastes - both in picture manipulation and file management. I bought Capture and enjoy using. Be warned - it's a memory hog.