How do I get this effect in PS

sandra_henderson

I could really murder some of those makeup people sometimes. The ones who know what they are doing are great, the ones who don't and leave shiny patches on the brides face, especially forehead, nose and chin, even when using studio lighting, those should be made to sit here and post process the brides instead of me!

Re: the photo above, I've shot similar with a telephoto wide open. If you want unnaturally crystal clean skin then there are plenty edge based sharpening methods around. I have my own custom action which sharpens the skin and edges seperately so skin detail is preserved but not highlighted and the edges such as the eyes are nice and sharp. Email me if you want it.

A couple of people have asked for the action, it's downloadable from this link (right click, 'save target as').

<p>

<a href="http://www.bphotography.co.uk/edge.atn">Edge Sharpening link</a>

<p>

It was specified for the 1Ds so has quite high sharpening (250,1,0) which I find perfect for full size files. With my 10D I used a final USM figure of 230,1,0 which was quite hefty.

<p>

There are two actions, one is automatic though feel free to change the USM amounts, the other is completely manual with user specified options at almost every stage.

<p>

The basic idea is that it firstly sharpens the entire image with a moderate amount of USM (like capture sharpening). After that an edge mask is built and used to apply the second round of sharpening to the edges such as the mouth and eyes. After that a very mild noise reduction (despeckle, I found the CS2 noise reduction too plasticy for facial tones though great for landscapes) to the non edge areas so that any noise built up with the original basic sharpen is calmed down somewhat.

<p>

I wrote this for myself after being disappointed with the difference between edge and non edge areas in pictures sharpened with PKSharpening. If I have a 1Ds then why throw away 3/4 of the resolution, it doesn't look natural anyway. It works well with people photography which is what it was designed for though it also works pretty well with landscapes as well.

<p>

For best results tune the USM amounts to your own taste!